STDs Forum

please help

hello doctor i want to know 2 things first i went to a pharmacy to test my sugar levels the man opened a lancet and took my glucose level it came good but i am concerned about 2 things that are major :
1- the pen outer had dry blood on it what are the chances of HCV (hepatitis c ) and HIV
my concern is raised due to 2 thing i tested my sgpt sgot they are high i think due to the acne medicine i am taking but from this encounter do i have any risk ?
2- a lancet re used a risk for hiv and HCV im raising thins concern due to the dry blood because i felt the pharmacy is not that clean
best regards
Welcome to the forum.

I am skeptical there really was visible blood on the outside of the lancet "pen" device; it there was, it is statistically unlikely the blood was contaminated with HIV or HCV; if it was, and the blood had dried, there would be even lower risk; and it is probably that nobody has ever caught HIV or HCV from this sort of event and you aren't going to be the first.  This should not be a cause for worry, regardless of whether or not the pharmacy seemed "clean".  In other words, I agree with the advice you received on the community forum.

This is a borderline appropriate question for this forum, which doesn't deal with HIV issues (see the notice at the top), and despite popular beliefs, HCV is not an STD.  For those reasons, and because there clearly was no risk, there won't be any ongoing discussion.

Really, don't worry about this.  There is no risk here.

Regards--  HHH, MD
the pen outer i meant the head of the pen
I saw this before I replied.
so the bottom line i shall move on and forget it no risk nor for hepatitis nor for HIV right ?
And what exactly did you think I meant by "Really, don't worry about this.  There is no risk here."  Does it help if I say it a second time?

OK, consider it said again.

This thread is over.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.