staph or herpes

I have been married for 8 years and recently seperated. I have a boyfriend and have been with him now for 3 months. He was in a relationship for 2 years and hasn't been with any one but me in 4 months. Well two weeks ago we were drunk and got wild in bed. We started having anal sex then he stuck it back in my vagina before I could say anything. 3 days later I started getting really ichey and figured it was a yeast infection and got some over the counter medicine. I was rubbing myself alot and made myself raw. Well 5 days later I still didn't feel right down there and was getting a real watery discharge and a fever. So this monday I went to my midwife who told me I have herpes and that my cervix didn't look good. I went to my boyfriend and told him, he went to his doctor the next day and he was told it was a staph infection. I also have this wierd bumbs on both sides of my tounge, not painfull or real raised but I can feel them. So my question is how could we have gotten herpes and why would she say thats what it is with out the tests back. And could you even get staph in my vagina? Very worried and confused.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It sounds to me as though both you and your BF have visible abnormalities that your respective health care providers saw.  The best way to diagnosis herpes is with cultures.  Visual inspection can sometimes be suggestive but there should always be testing to validate the impression made on visual inspection.  The timing and your symptoms are certainly compatible with herpes and, as far as his doctor's diagnosis is concerned, it is easy to mistake herpes for other sorts of infections.  Each of you NEED to have cultures taken.  This is important both to validate the clinical diagnosis and to guide therapy (your infection could be due to HSV-1 or HSV-2 and which is present effects the likelihood of recurrence, therapeutic approaches, etc).

Staph infections of the vaginal are rare.

Have you been treated with anything?  If this is herpes, the sooner you start treatment the sooner you will start to feel better

The topic of herpes is a complex one.  The disease is common with HSV-1 being present in over 60% of adults and HSV-2 (the virus which causes most genital herpes) being present in about 1 in 5 Americans.  For both infections, the majority of people who have the infections are not aware that they are infected, either because they either acquired it without knowing in the past or because they misidentified their herpes as something else.  I will do my best to answer your questions but in general, many of these questions and information about herpes can be obtained by accessing excellent informational web sites such as the one run by the American Social Health Association (disclosure, Dr. Handsfield and I are both on the Board of Directors of ASHA).

EWH
Helpful - 0
she gave me Valtrex, but his doctor gave him Doxycycl HXC. What other infections could it be and was this due to the anal than vagianal sex? It all seemed to happen right after that. Thank you!
Helpful - 0
Also what is the watery discharge from, is that a symtom of the herpes or a different problem? I did have cultures taken and blood work he did not.
Helpful - 0
The watery discharge could sertainly be due to herpes.

He should have herpes cultures done.  EWH
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.