SURVIVING NEUROLOGICAL LIMBO LAND - NO DX Community
533 Members

Familial Risk Factors...

Hi All,
I was curious how many of us on here a close familial history of disease?
I have done a ton of research on the subject. There definatly seems to be a connection especially with autoimmune disease.
For instance family history of Thyriod disease increases the risk of MS..etc....

Mom- Dystolic dysfuntion (heart disease), Porphyria on her side of family.
Father- Thyroid disease,Raynauds Syndrome,Spina Bifida Occulta(very mild form)

Take Care, Theresa

As far as I know, there is not family history of auto-immune/neurological disorders in my family although my paternal Grandmother did have dementia very late in life.

My parents are pretty healthy.

This could be interesting, maybe I should ask my parents...

Kristin
That's a very interesting set of dots you've discovered.

Sister - lupus,   thyroid
Mother - heart disease, stroke, dementia
Father - heart

Sam (+ lower spine SBOcculta - hmm, would this impact on cervical spine probs....?)
Father: Lupus, gout, and cryoglobenemia
Grandfather: Parkinsons
Grandmother: RA
Sister: Thyroid
Sister: RLS
Brother: Dysautomia
Brother: Sarcoidosis
Me: Endometriosis (auto immune)
Daughter: Endometriosis
Neice(from brother): Endometriosis

Sam,
I have SBO too. Like my dads its very mild. But the ortho said that yes it could magnify lower back pain and spinal issues .
I have a patch of skin directly over mine that has almost no pigmant.Even when I use to tan it still would be as whate as snow. My husband calll it my bunny tail. Theres also a little dimple to. I never knew what it was but the doc said even before he looked at the x-ray it was classic for SBO.

Kristen,
You should definatly ask your parents.Sometimes even things that seem insignificant can be the piece the docs need to finish the puzzel.....

Maria your doomed like me...LOL

Familial history is very important when we are dealing with the unknown. It can give the docs somthing to go by. Most docs believe that if it looks like a duck then its a duck. But with autoimmune diseases and metabolic disordes it may look like a duck but infact is an  elephant.

Take Care, Theresa
hi theresa,

it's interesting that you bring this up since when i went to see the autoimmune/rheumatologist, she asked very detailed questions about my family hx.  i didn't know of any specifics relating to autoimmune problems in the family, but after describing my mother's history of 4 miscarriages, allergies, hayfever and asthma, the doc said she felt that my mother probably suffers from some form of autoimmune thyroid disease.  i mentioned it to my mom the other day and she said her grandmother had severe hypothyroidism, but back in the day, no one really knew how to manage it.

your post also reminded me that my mother also had a heart attack at age 46 after early onset menopause which i failed to mention to the doctor.  i wonder if any of that could have something to do with thyroid/endocrine dysfunction?  hmmm.  my wheels are turning...

in addition, i was also born with SBO.  my father had terrible spine issues and all 5 of us kids in my family suffer from bulging and herniated discs.  my sister has been permanently disabled from her cervical spine disease.

i can only hope my child has inherited my husband's family's spines, hearts and immune systems.

I thought that this might get the wheels turning....LOL...

I have some oddities of my own about pregnancy or the lack there of.The Rheumy found this fascinating...When the Rheumy is surprised makes ya wonder...LOL

Back in 97' I finally got pregnant after 3 yrs of trying with first husband.I It was a miserable time. I lost a ton of weight because I was puking my guts out.But everthing seemed normal.I just out of the blue felt better. We had heard the babies heartbeat and it was strong. It was time for my first ultrasound at about 5 months. Thats when it was dicovered that I had a partial molar pregnancy.

.A molar pregnancy is a mass of tissue (hydatidiform mole) that forms an abnormal placenta inside the uterus. It starts from two or three sets of the father's chromosomes, with none from the mother.1 Even though it is not an embryo, a mole triggers symptoms of pregnancy. About 1 out of 1,000 women with early pregnancy symptoms has a molar pregnancy.
Partial molar pregnancy. The placenta grows abnormally into molar tissue. Any fetal tissue that develops is likely to have severe defects.

I had to have a DnC.I also had to have blood tests for 3 yrs afterwards to check my hormon levels because it can cause cancer.

I have never been able to get pregnant agin.

I had never even heard of this until it was me who had it.....

The more that I think about things the weirder my history becomes....

You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.