12 yr. old girl hearing things

My daughter is 12 yrs. old she is delayed since birth and has always taled to her self and still does. She hit her knee on the wall and this was her out loud conversation with her self, Ouch, did  that hurt? yes it did. What happened? I hit my knee, Oh.   Yesterday when we picked her up from school she didnt even say hi, she got in the car saying she was hearing things and she didnt look good. I asked her what she was hearing, she said sounds, like music gets stuck in her head, beeping noise, sound of honking truck horn. I am so concerned, what can this be please advise
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Childhood schizophrenia is very rare although clinically possible. If she has been delayed since birth as you describe it and she always talked to herself they need to rule out more common causes such as autism. I would suggest taking her to a child psychiatrist and explain when this first started and that some symptoms have occured all her life and they could provide a diagnosis and decide what to do from there.
Helpful - 0
I had schizophrenia pop up during early childhood so I'm proof of that being possible although it didn't make me not able to function at all off medication until like the beginning of this year and happened suddenly.  I think some psychiatrists however don't believe in this being possible which I can easily see why.  Makes me think of autism though like ILADVOCATE pointed out for the same reasons he said.  Could also be something entirely different as lots of disorders mimic the symptoms of other ones, only a psychiatrist could truly figure it out.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your input. I have a Doctor appt. for her today
Helpful - 0
Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I hear conflicting things on this, I hear people say it's no one's fault and then I also hear people say environmental factors go into setting it off.  I am confused to be honest.
Helpful - 0
PTSD is another issue entirely. A person could have had no psychiatric disability to begin with and then acquire it. It stems from outside events that occur in a person's life that were emotionally (or even physically) traumatizing. That's why it was first identified in the military. As for the cause of schizophrenia it is true they study the causes all the time and different genetic causes are found without specific proof. However, the theory that (at least one gene) genes in people with schizophrenia have been shown to be lacking in glutamate transmission and the development of a new class of antipsychotics the glutamate antagonists (official NMDA receptor modulates) that restores an imbalance in glutamate transmission is showing much scientific proof. I am one of the few people who has benefited from these treatments outside of the controlled Phase II FDA studies (and am the first person to benefit from this specific treatment as a primary antipsychotic,, in the official studies it is used as an adjunct antipsychotic) but my recovery is under standard clinical study (and there are other NMDA receptor modulates being studied as primary antipsychotics). To find out more about the study in general for informational purposes google "Dr. Javitt, glycine". The causes of schizophrenia were hard to determine. That is correct. But current research is finding out more specific and provable theories and the next generation of antipsychotics (of which the NMDA receptor modulates are only one class) will have a fuller recovery rate and more favorable side effect profile. PTSD since it has outside causes of course will always need talk therapy and for some cognitive behavioral therapy as it is not entirely brain based.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community