Schizophrenia Community
921 Members

ADD and Schizophrenia

Can someone have both schizophrenia and ADD or ADHD?  My latest psychiatrist seems to think I have ADD but that I have never been schizophrenic.  He did not see me when I had 3 SEVERELY psychotic episodes all within about two years before I finally was put on an antipsychotic Zyprexa 7 to 8 years ago which worked like a charm.  However, I am now on Abilify at 45 mg. and Lamictal 100mg. for now.  I am curious as to why he seems to be so insistent about the ADD because every other doctor I have ever been to has without a doubt diagnosed me with schizophrenia.  I agree with the new psychiatrist that I have all the symptoms of ADD or even ADHD, but I also have the symptoms of schizophrenia.  So what is it?  Or is it possible to have both?  He wants to put me on a drug for ADD but from what I've read, those drugs can exacerbate schizphrenia symptoms.  
A person can have both ADD and schizophrenia. The medications used to treat ADD can worsen the symptoms of schizophrenia but they can be used within a psychiatrist's discretion as long as the effects are monitored for. Ask your psychiatrist more about why they came to these conclusions to begin with.
Actually I've read that with schizophrenia the levels of dopamine are high and with ADD the levels of dopamine are low so it does confuse me unless I read something wrong.... I also read somewhere that glutamate levels are the main culprit for schizophrenia NOT dopamine... This is more recent research as well.  

I took a neurotransmitter test and my levels of dopamine were barely normal on the low spectrum, my DOPAC (a byproduct I think of dopamine also a neurotransmitter) and my glutamate was normal, although I am on Abilify which might tweek those a bit.  Several other neurotransmitters were terribly low like Norepinephrine, epinephrine, Serotonin, 5 HIAA,Taurine was too low to mention, and others out of 13 different transmitters they tested were low normal.  

This test is very interesting.... I highly recommend getting one done.  I got my test done through NEUROSCIENCE, if you want to google the company.  You have to have a psychiatrist that can read the results and is very familiar with these kinds of tests.  
I meant to say in there that my DOPAC was extremely low so much lower than the dopmaine.  I think Dopac is the result of dopmaine being processed in the body and it is the end result?  NOt sure will have to do research on this.  
Yes I am aware of what you said as I am taking (under psychiatric supervision) an antipsychotic agent in Phase II FDA study which is called glycine which is a glutamate antagonist (technically NMDA receptor modulate, for more information google "Dr. Javitt, glycine" they increase the level of glutamate transmission) but I was providing information as regards currently available antipsychotics as those won't be out for a long time. Depending on how the case study goes they may or may not do further testing on me. Thanks for the information.
That is so interesting!  Have you had a neurotransmitter test?  If so what were the findings if you don't mind disclosing that?  Also are you currently having intense episodes of schizophrenia or is it chronic?  JUst wondering based on results from such a test, how your symptoms correlate....  If anyone reading this has had a neurotransmitter test and doesn't mind discussing results and comparing notes please join our discussion...
My glycine was normal and my glutamate was normal exactly in the optimal range and as far as my schizophrenia symptoms go... I have bouts of it every now and then I will get unrealistically paranoid and it tends to snowball but nothing like my first 3 psychotic breaks.  It involved every aspect of my life back then, I mean there was nowhere I could go without thinking I was being watched, followed, listened to and harrassed.  I also had very intense hallucinations involving all 5 senses.

Anyway, I have not known very many other schizophrenics because I always felt even more paranoid around them because I was thinking "what are they thinking I am thinking they are thinking I am thinking and so forth."  So, support groups didn't work out for me.  

Why I bring up my breakdowns is because I am amazed at how I've recovered and am wondering if this doctor is right about me never having it?  But how can those breakdowns be explained especially when i tried antidepressants and they didn't work and then Zyprexa did for once.  So that tells me there was a chemical imbalance maybe severe back then but not as much now???