Schizophrenia Community
921 Members

Dosage

If you are already taking 30mg of zyprexa for your illness and you suddenly have a setback if dangerous for a doctor to increase the medication to 60mg for a short time until a crisis passes.
That's doubling the dosage. I'd be concerned. Unless you start to actually feel psychotic if its just emotional concerns or anxiety I would have your psychiatrist refer you to a talk therapist and cognitive behavioral therapy is good as well. As a person who has made a full recovery from schizoaffective disorder with glycine an antipsychotic in Phase II FDA study which is a new form of antipsychotic that will have a safer long term side effect profile and promote a fuller recovery (for more information google "Dr. Javitt, glycine" for the official study, my case study will be published in a pyshiatric journal) even I can say that now after recovery in looking back there were times my medication needed to be increased such as when I was psychotic and then then there were everyday stressors and setbacks that needed to be talked over with a therapist and planned out as to how to be dealt with in life. Part of the recovery process is anticipating set backs and developing coping techniques.
do whatever your doctor tells you do to do.  if you feel he is putting you in danger, check with your pharmacist just to be sure.  once i had a doctor put me in danger before a surgery because they had printed the wrong instructions.  but you should listen to your doctor, and check with your pharmacist for safety.  i would not be adjusting your medication by yourself.  
I do think in terms of setbacks as regards stress induced psychosis that a psychiatrist might advise temporarily raising Zyprexa but not doubling it. Any dosage within the clinical range can be prescribed but you have to distinguish between psychotic breaks and those that are reacting to stressful events. Even when I was on standard antipsychotics, I would get psychotic every October and panic and often the antipsychotic needed to be raised or changed. But I didn't know why. As it turns out it was an "anniversary date" of when my stepfather died so I learned to expect it and cope with it. Or worrying about a job interview or test or relationship or everyday life stressors. Antipsychotics are there to treat psychosis (and can be used as mood stabilizers) not to treat the normal reactions we have to everyday stressors. Think about what the setback is from and speak to both your psychiatrist and talk therapist about it and then let them both come to a better conclusion as to adjusting dosage.