I've always wondered...

I am a 21 year old college student. When I was little, I did this thing(for lack of a better word). I would pace back and fourth in my kitchen, or living room if nobody was home, and twiddle my fingers together infront of me. As I did this, I would pretend/imagine ummmmm, pretty much anything. I would imagine new types of race cars, I would imagine my favorite baseball team going all the way, I would imagine adventures,etc. It was almost like playing a video game. I could do this for hours, but it wasn't like a trance, I was very into it. I have actually done it my entire life.

I still do it from time to time. Mainly with the sports teams I watch, I pretend/imagine them acquiring certain players and going all the way. I listen to pink floyd and imagine being in a band and picture how my music career would go(kind of like the evolution of pink floyd through their albums, but I imagine I am in the band today making groundbreaking music. lol WhenI do it today, I usually twiddle a pencil in my hands/fingers.  I also do the same thing with a pencil(except that I am sitting) when I watch my favorite sports teams or a band I like on television.

My parents and brother were aware of this, but they don't know I still do it. I have never had any problems with mental health, but I have went through two short periods in my life wher eI had night terrors that were believed to be caused by anxiety. The first bout was when I was 6ish/7ish. I slept walk/halucinated and said things such as "I have to save the people's people," and " I have to cut somebody." I can only imagine how my parents felt. lol Other than the past night terros, I have had no problems. I was just always said to have a great,creative imagination.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I did that too. Often about music and adventures but that had to include me not my favorite team/band loI. Sounds childish but I used to imagine many things and so on. I did it from childhood until my late teens. It appeared in my early twenties as well but very rarely.

Like someone said could be OCD. I have suffered anxiety and OCD my whole life.

You might have a mild case of OCD. If it isn't interfering with your life, let it be. If it is bothering you, and it seems to be since you worry what it could be, then see a psychiatrist.

Doesn't sound like skitzophrenia if that's what you fear.

Helpful - 0
hey i do that..imagining what it would be like to play ball in the nba or football and like basicly have full conversations that would occure in those lives wit people i would meet and hear the crowd roar when i dunk on someone..sometimes i do it when iam driving and the mental picture is so strong that i can drive home and not actuallty remember how i got there..sometimes i cant wait to go to bed because its kinda fun to beable to control the realistic imagination..i do have panic attacks here and there i guess like ur night terrors..but i dont know, the imagination thing has never been a problem for me..in fact it helps me with math classes, epecially geometery..or when i play basketball..cuz i can picture all the players and what their reactions will be before i make a move. i thnk as long as you understand that it is ur imagination not reality then its fine..
Helpful - 0
The werid thing is,I have no problem throwing these things away, but b/c I'm usually the only person that sees those areas, I have no problem with those things being there.

hmmm.. I've never had any problems with adhd(again, I'm assuming what it is exactly). I have nevr been hyder-active, I have never had problems with people(such as teachers/instructors) keeping my attention. I'm a good listener and multi-tasker, though I do have many things/thoughts going through in my head as I do things, they usually are not distractions. I am a procrastinator though.

Back to OCD... Now that I think about it, I do do some peculiar things. This is going to sound very , very strange, when I was about 7, I seen an ant on the floor of my grandmas bathroom, I went through a period(about 2 weeks), where I would sit on the toilet with my feet, after about 2-3 weeks, I began just putting a towel on the floor. I have put a towel on the floor ever since. In the last year or two, I have done it more inconsistently, but I still use a towel about 70% of the time.

The weird thing is, in most aspects of my life, I kind of have a lack of a routine, atleast it seems that way.

Again,thanks for your help/advice, it's very much apreciated.
Helpful - 0
Hoarding that is compulsively saving objects for no reason can be a part of ocd and/or adhd. Ocd can manifest itself in a variety of ways. Try to detail exactly what's wrong so you can explain it to a psychiatrist and it would help them to make a more conclusive diagnosis.
Helpful - 0
sorry to keep making posts, but I forgot to mention:

I do not know much about ocd, but I do not recall any obsessive neatness or anything(im guessing that's just one type of ocd). I mean, I literally cannot keep my room organized/neat, same with my car. Do these things tie into anything. I would say I DEFINITELY have an organization problem. In my room, my clothes pile up, my bed is never made, I have no organization in cds,books,etc.  In my car, I keep apple cores in my cup holders, wrappers all over the floor, papers all over the floor, past check stubs everywhere. It's not that I don't have the skills to keep them neat, I just don't feel the need for it. It's not that i'm not a clean perosn, i'm just not a neat person.

thanks again iladvocate!
Helpful - 0
It hasn't been a problem, really.

I never thought about it, until I realized nobody else does it. lol  I then became curious of why I started. It's not something I couldn't stop, I just don't see a reason to. I don't do it as often anymore, anyways.

I know I can't get a diagnosis right now, but do you think this can be problematic in any way?

Thanks again iladvocate!
Helpful - 0
What you describe sounds more obsessive thoughts so perhaps it could be ocd. But only a psychiatrist can make a diagnosis. But its worth speaking to one if its still a problem. As for sleeping there can be an alteration in reality for anyone as they are falling asleep or waking up but if there is a disruption in sleep then there can be problems with that. If a person has sleep disruption a sleep study can be conducted. But if you have obsessive thoughts or activities, even minor that tend to trouble you it might be best to speak to a psychiatrist. For ocd cognitive behavioral therapy works in addition to medication and talk therapy.
Helpful - 0
I would like to add:

I never really had a name for it, my parents called it "wondering45's game."

To me, it was just liek how other kids played video games or watched movies, or played overall. Instead of saying "hey, Im going to go play video games." I would say "I 'm going to go imagine." lol, I didn't really tell people when I was going to to it, but you get the idea.

I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of or seen anything like this, and if it sounds like anything, or if it connected to the night terrors I had, or the anxiety.

Thanks all!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community