My Son

My son is 27 years old and we have been battling Paranoid Schizophrenia for 10 years now.  He is conserved and currently in a crisis residential.  My question is will he get better with age.  He is still in denial about his illness.

Deb
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It has been thought within some studies that some of the symptoms of schizophrenia will lessen with age but the more important thing by far is to have him be on medications that will help stabilize him and make him more functional and have a greater self awareness which can often be lacking in schizophrenia. The three newest FDA approved antipsychotics are Abilify, Fanapt and Saprhis althought each person responds differently to each medication. There are also a new generation of antipsychotics in Phase 2 FDA study the NMDA receptor modulates that will have a fuller recovery rate and a safer side effect profile than the current generation of antipsychotics (I take one of those treatments glycine under strict psychiatric supervision because I couldn't tolerate all known antipsychotics and have advanced tardive dyskinesia). In the meantime inquire about all available options with his psychiatrist until they find a medication that can help him become more stable and functional.
Helpful - 0
They said in a study I read somewhere that symptoms of mental illness can improve with age for some reason not yet fully understood.  Some people say they also got worse with age when it came to mental illness but this is of course is not true for everyone.  I have gotten worse with age myself (I had symptoms of the illness since I was 3 or 4) but I'm only 24 so I have a long way to go.
Helpful - 0
i found out i had schizophrenia when i was 36 i am almost 39 now and my condition seems to be more stable and although i am now researching what is wrong with me i have accepted that i will have this the rest of my life :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community