Schizophrenia Community
921 Members

SEVERE PSYCHOSIS

I'M A 46 YR. OLD MALE DIAGNOSED SCHIZO-EFFECTIVE BI-POLAR. FRIDAY MORNING TO LATE FRIDAY NIGHT/REAL EARLY SATURDAY MORNING 11/14-15/14  I'D TAKEN MY MEDS 2 DAYS IN 1 DAY. I CALLED MY MOM WHO IS A NURSE. SHE SAID NOT TO TAKE ANY MEDS ON SATURDAY TO GIVE IT TIME TO WORK OUT OF MY SYSTEM. ON SUNDAY 11/16/14 I STILL FELT WEIRD SO I DIDN'T TAKE MY MORNING OR AFTERNOON MEDS EITHER. A DEPARTMENT OF CHILDRENS AND FAMILY (DCF) WORKER CAME BY EARLY AFTERNOON. I WASN'T FEELING GOOD THEN EITHER SO SHE CALLED AN AMBULANCE. THEY TOOK MY TO THE HOSPITAL WHEN THEY CAME OUT. THE ER DOCTOR WANTED TO TRANSFER ME TO A TAMPA CRISIS STABILIZATION UNIT (CSU) UNDER THE BAKER ACT (INVOLUNTARILY ADMISSION) FOR ADMISSION. AFTER TALKING TO THE PSYCHIATRIC NURSE SHE MANAGED TO GET THE BAKER ACT RESCINDED. I WAS HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH HEARING VOICES AND SEEING THINGS THAT WEREN'T THERE ALONG WITH A BAD DEPRESSION. I'D BEEN HAVING ALOT OF MEMORY LOSSES AND CONFUSION GOING ON. THEY DIAGNOSED ME WITH PSYCHOSIS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY PSYCHIATRIST ON WEDNESDAY 11/26/14 BECAUSE MY SYMPTOMS ARE ONGOING. I TAKE GEODONE 80 MG. TWICE A DAY. I ALSO TAKE BUSPAR 15MG. TWICE DAILY, BENZTROPINE 2MG. TWICE DAILY, PAXIL 20MG. ONCE DAILY, PERPHENAZINE 4MG. TWICE DAILY, AND DEPAKOTE 500MG. ONCE DAILY. COULD I'VE GROWN IMMUNE TO MY MEDS? THEY'VE HELPED SOME BEFORE BUT NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATING THE VOICES OR SEEING THINGS. THE DEPRESSION SEEMS TO GOTTEN WORSE. I'D SAY THE DEPRESSION WAS GETTING INTO A SEVERE STAGE. COULD THE PSYCHOSIS BE SEVERE NOW? I APPRECIATE THE ADVICE AND HELP FROM ANYONE. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF OTHER DRUGS THAT MIGHT WORK BETTER THAT I CAN ASK MY PSYCHIATRIST ABOUT? I'M DISABLED ON DISABILITY. I'VE BEEN SICK AND LOST 35LBS AS WELL DURING THIS TIME.
you may ask the doctor to up your anti depressant pill your taking a very high dose of Geodon like me and the Cogentin also when it comes to the pills its trial &error to find the right match :)
   I agree with the other post.  Also Depakoate is a mood stabilizer
that often works better on mania than it does on depression
although each person responds differently to each medication.
There are many other mood stabilizers such as  Lamictal  and lithium
and you could ask your psychiatrist if they believe a  different mood stabilizer might be of help.
  With schizoaffective, as mood swings and psychosis overlap
if a person isn't experiencing full control of one symptom the other can worsen. For example if a person is depressed or manic and that is not responding to  treatment psychosis can worsen. You can ask
your psychiatrist more about that.
I agree with Drifter, talk to your psychiatrist and see if he/she can up your antidepressant. A really good antidepressant is effexor XR. Talk to your dr about either upping the paxil or getting on another drug at a High enough dose that will help.