Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
675718 tn?1530033033

causes

does anyone know what causes schizophrenia and is it caused by a chemical imbalance?
Best Answer
585414 tn?1288941302
http://www.schizophreniasymptoms.com/causes.php
This has a clinical accurate understanding up until now as to the potential causes of schizophrenia but research continues so that is updated on a regular basis
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't think they found a definitive cause yet and schizophrenia is a chemical imbalance from my understanding.  Last I heard though they suspected the potential for schizophrenia is caused by complications during pregnancy or soon after birth and then a major life event triggers it to become active.
Helpful - 0
675718 tn?1530033033
really?
Helpful - 0
675718 tn?1530033033
thank you ILADVOCATE that page helped answer my question :)
Helpful - 0
Looks like it has more causes than I was told it has.
Helpful - 0
My mental health care people suspect mine was caused by the oxygen deprivation theory in that article you posted.  But I was also clinically dead too when that occurred and they suspect it even though I was around a month old when it happened or so I'm told that's when it occurred.  Also for some reason when they find out I was diagnosed with schizophrenia they keep asking me if I suffered a head injury at any point in my life, which I did at another rather young age.  The psychologist appointed by social security even asked me that when I went and got evaluated by them.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community

Top Schizophrenia Answerers
675718 tn?1530033033
El Paso, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?