Aa
A
A
A
Close
Schizophrenia Community
920 Members
Hello everyone. I'm an 18 year old female, diagnosed with scizoaffective disorder about two years ago. I have been taking a low dose of abilify and the average dose lamotrigine once a day for almost a year, but it seems like they aren't doing what they used to. I've started to notice how fatigued I feel and how emotional I've been. I haven't experienced any psychotic symptoms yet, but I'm afraid it could happen anytime. My anxiety has also been worrying me. My parents are considering taking me off meds and out of counseling altogether, but this also makes me a bit nervous as I have just returned from studying abroad and plan to apply to college very shortly. I guess I'm just wondering what people think about changing meds (and which meds to ask my doctor about) and I'm wondering if anyone as any advice for convincing my parents to keep me on meds at all. Thanks
-Audrey
5 Responses
585414 tn?1288941302
   Yes sometimes medications over time aren't effective as they were before and changing or adjusting them within a psychiatrist's clinical discretion can help. Also Abilify can cause nervousness and anxiety but each person responds differently to each medication. The 3 newest antipsychotics are Fanapt, Saphris and Latuda. This is a full list of mood stabilizers as of two years ago:
http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/moodstabilizers.htm
and since then there are more medications that are FDA approved and used off label for other purposes. For example I am on Lovaza as a mood stabilizer as are other people I know. If your psychiatrist is unable to help you they could refer you to a psychopharmocologist.
   It can be difficult when family members don't understand the need for medication and therapy. NAMI friends and family support groups can be of help. Also they have helpful informational literature. As well these websites would be of help for informational purposes:
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/34/Mental-Health/Useful-Bipolar--Depression-Webisites?hp_id=523
675718 tn?1530033033
i agree people respond differrently to meds abilify did not work for me i take risperdal :)
1100156 tn?1323923521
Thank you very much
1785448 tn?1353790196
I think it all depends..what works for one person may not work for another.

If you feelyour meds are not having the same effect they used to, then you need to talk to your doctor. They'd have the best ideas for what to do next. I've been on quite a few meds and I've met people they've worked for and people they haven't. Be honest with your docs.

As far as it goes with your parents..how much are you comfortable in telling them? Maybe if they knew your fears/the way you are feeling they'd be more understanding and receptive to keeping you on meds. What does your doc say about it? Maybe if you told them the recommendation from your doc they'd understand more? I don't know..it's hard to explain to those close to you.

Good luck with everything...do what you need to do to keep yourself as well as you can whatever that might be.

Happy Christmas :)
1100156 tn?1323923521
Thanks everyone. I did talk to my parents a bit more and they are keeping me on meds. I am also trying a higher dose of abilify, so we will see if that helps.
Top Schizophrenia Answerers
675718 tn?1530033033
El Paso, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.