Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

question

I was thinking if i am going to need to take medications for the whole my life if i have already recovered from psychosis?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
585414 tn?1288941302
If the medications you take are treating the psychosis you have and you don't experience it that's not because you have recovered its because the symptoms are being treated. Generally people with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder (myself included) require medication for life and regardless of how effective any medications are (such as for myself) that doesn't mean they have stopped schizophrenia or schizoaffective from occurring and just like a person who has epilepsy or diabetes who has found insulin or anti-convulsants effective in helping them even if they have no symptoms they will need to take the medications for life so its the same thing.
Helpful - 0
I know all that you told me.But thing is next:as i went to a few psychiatrist one of them told me,as i am fine now,that i don t suffer from any disorder except borderline.But i recovered from much stronger psychosis,that is why i was diagnosed with schizofrenia.So i am wondering now if it was just kind of psychosis and i recovered from it,is it going to come back once i stop to receive medications?
Helpful - 0
Yes it can come back after you stop taking medications for it even though you have recovered.  It may take months (or even years) but it can come back and you might not even be aware it's coming back as well due to a loss of insight.
Helpful - 0
675718 tn?1530033033
i am stuck taking all these pills and still hear voices :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community

Top Schizophrenia Answerers
675718 tn?1530033033
El Paso, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?