question

I was thinking if i am going to need to take medications for the whole my life if i have already recovered from psychosis?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If the medications you take are treating the psychosis you have and you don't experience it that's not because you have recovered its because the symptoms are being treated. Generally people with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder (myself included) require medication for life and regardless of how effective any medications are (such as for myself) that doesn't mean they have stopped schizophrenia or schizoaffective from occurring and just like a person who has epilepsy or diabetes who has found insulin or anti-convulsants effective in helping them even if they have no symptoms they will need to take the medications for life so its the same thing.
Helpful - 0
I know all that you told me.But thing is next:as i went to a few psychiatrist one of them told me,as i am fine now,that i don t suffer from any disorder except borderline.But i recovered from much stronger psychosis,that is why i was diagnosed with schizofrenia.So i am wondering now if it was just kind of psychosis and i recovered from it,is it going to come back once i stop to receive medications?
Helpful - 0
Yes it can come back after you stop taking medications for it even though you have recovered.  It may take months (or even years) but it can come back and you might not even be aware it's coming back as well due to a loss of insight.
Helpful - 0
i am stuck taking all these pills and still hear voices :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community