Senior Health Community
483 Members

Leg pains

My wife, aged 63, experiences severe cramps in her legs. They are so severe that her toes curl upwards sharply and it is extremely painful. can anyone help?
Hello karakzarkha,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. I am sorry to hear about your wives leg pains. Is she on a diuretic like lasix (furosemide) or hydrochlorothiazide?

My first though would be an electrolyte imbalance. Is she drinking enough fluids? Has she had blood tests to determine her electrolyte levels?

Is those are all find I would wonder about her circulation. PAD (peripheral artery disease) can cause similar symptoms. This can and should be investigated.

In the meantime walking can help reduce cramping and warm moist heat can also be beneficial. However more importantly is that her PCP is aware of these symptoms and performs a good clinical evaluation.

She is fortunate to have your support and concern. I hope you will let us know how she is doing. I wish you both the very best. I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life