Senior Health Community
483 Members

recovery from sepsis , head pain ,fatigue

Hi not sure if I am posting inthe right place, but.... I recently had sepsis was taken to emergency and spent some time in ICU , had a close call, with very low bp, kidneys failing hallucinations etc etc. I pulled through and am home now. I have been resting for nearly 3 weeks and am not feeling myself. I have head pain, pain behind my left eye , general fatigue and have had a couple incidents of memory loss. ie; i could not remember my street address. I am still unable to go through a normal schedule for a day and have maybe a 2 hr window of energy in the mornig before needing to lay down again. what is going on, what can I do to recouperate faster. the doctor has recommended I see a neurologist. I am frightened, normally a very active, healthy 42 yr old woman. I have had ct scan, ekg, chest xray etc etc while inhospital and nothing was showing of concern. please share info, help, advice.
It took Swampy's mom nearly a year to recover from a very similar episode, but she did eventually recover fully.

Look carefully at your prescription medications, make certain that your body is metabolising them at a reasonable rate.

Get your endocrine system checked, tiredness can be caused by hormones out of whack.

Make certain the infection doesn't come back. It may not come back in your blood but it could reappear elsewhere (or you could get a new infection because your body is a little weaker).

Good luck to you. What a frightening thing.
Swampcritter always gives good advice, especially in this post about the endochrine system check.

It is impossible for me to know exactly what is going on with you.

That being said, this is some background on systemic infections. As  massive bacterial infections are overcome by therapeutic intervention, the by products of the destruction are neurotoxins, which damage brain cells. Organs are damaged, including the pituitary, which controls production of many hormones.

These take along time to get out of the system. And in some cases do damage that cannot be rectified.

That being said, the brain is a reduntant organism, and time is the best healer. Together with clean living and good nutrition and plenty of sunlight.

I do not want to discourage you from seeing a neurologist, but there is little that can be done in these cases except "watchful waiting".

The bad news is that these infections encapsulate, and often they are never entirely gone from the body. They can hide under the gums behind the teeth, in the bones....almost anywhere. Therefore a top priority for you is to keep your immune system up-to--speed.

In the future do not agree to a CT, an obsolete procedure, Instead, if necessary, insist of a "3T"MRI.

Do this with a hour of sunlight exposure a day, moderate exercise, good control of blood sugar,  a D-3 supplement, 1000 mg a day of omega-3 fish oil, a sub-lingual B-12 supplement with folic acid,  co-enzyme Q-10 (250 mg a day), and a daily quality vitamin pill.

You have my sympathies.

Great info...I'm a 47 year old male that had sepsis and multi-organ failure.
I'm a trainer and am having a hard time with this slow recovery...I was in the ER Dec. 12 and out Dec 24, 2009. When I entered the ER, my bp was 60/40, hr 184 and a fever of 104.5. They thought that I wouldn't make it. So glad that I did! It is now Feb 16, 2010. Any idea what kind of recovery time I should expect? I feel that that I am 50 plus % of my old self right now...please advise.

Thank you!
I am a 45 year old female, December 07 early december was hospitalized with sepsis.  I am still recovering, I still do not have the same stamina.
Rest, take lots of vitamins.....keep pushing yourself a little more each month.  This is one of the worst experiences one can have in life.

Bye!
I am sorry to hear that you had sepsis also. It takes so much out of a person.

I had a MVA some years ago with huge multiple internal injuries.  I became septic five times over the course of four months. Once my abdominal wounds were able to be closed (after 2 months) I still had a severed ureter and a nephrostomy tube through my back and into my right kidney. Finally they were able to repair the ureter after four months and the bouts of sepsis ended. There were many moments I would have welcomed death.

Sepsis can put a huge drain on your body systems. It often requires months to return to your previous strength and endurance levels. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't demand too much of yourself. Allow you body time to heal and recover.

A consult with a nutritionist and or dietitian may be helpful. I personally don't recommend supplements because what one person requires may not be what another requires. In my opinion you should avoid too many or too high of a dose of supplements. Some vitamins and most minerals are fat soluble and are stored in your body rather than secreted. These storage levels can reach toxic levels and do more harm than good. Water soluble vitamins such as Vit C are not stored, if you take more than you require you body quickly dumps it through your kidneys.

Rest when you are fatigued. Don't over stress your body. Be good to yourself. I know it may be difficult but be patient, let your systems recuperate.

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Take Care,
~Tuck~
thanks for your response to sepsis condition.  i was in the hospital 7 2008 in a coma for 3.5 days and the icu for 4 days.  My heart tripled in size and all organs began to shut down.  and then they responded and came back to life as quickly as they "died"  i am under the care of an endocrinologist and i am scheduled to see a pulminologist in 2 weeks.
i lost 60 pounds and i am still on blood pressure meds and diabetes.  my problem is i am always tired but not sleepy.  i have started vitamins, wheat grass juice to no avail.  thanks for your help i wanted to join any test sights to make it better for others.  ken.***@****
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life