Senior Health Community
483 Members

weakness, de-energization

On August 29 my wife and I were out shopping and I was feeling fine. Then, gradually I became aware of a feeling of unease. At first I ignored the symptoms, but the feeling got worse, and soon I was quite uncomfortable. My mind was foggy and I felt weak. I rested a while in the car and then got up to go with my wife to the grocery store, where I followed her around very, very slowly. I wanted to go home, but we still had some stops to make; it seemed ridiculous to suggest leaving, because just a half hour ago I was feeling fine. Finally, I did tell my wife how bad I was feeling and we decided to skip the last stop and head on home. It seemed like the ride lasted forever (15 miles). I kept nodding and felt desperate to get there. When we did, I lay down and fell asleep. When I woke up a little later, I felt fine. The entire episode lasted a couple of hours.

This experience has been repeated intermittently since then, two or three times a week, with varying intensity.  It affects me both mentally and physically. I don’t usually go to sleep afterwards; it just fades away. It usually starts in the morning and lasts a few hours, and then I feel fine. I've even gone out and walked a couple of miles in the afternoon afterwards.

I am weak, woozy, foggy, weary, listless, clumsy in body, cloudy in mind, generally experiencing malaise and discomfort.

Sometimes the episodes are less frequent but more severe. During my recent trip to Europe, one day it was awful; it lasted about six hours and I was really dragging, both mentally and physically. We were in beautiful Vienna, but I could hardly comprehend, much less appreciate, anything. I am 74.
Welcome "Hal",

I have read your other comments on MedHelp to see if there was a bit more info about you. I'm glad you came to our community.

I have several concerns about these "episodes" you are experiencing. I'm going to ask a few questions and hope you'll respond.

Have you had a complete thyroid panel done recently? I assume your B/P has been monitored and is well controlled? Have you had a recent A1C level? These are some of my thoughts.

I'm wondering also if you may be having TIAs?  A TIA - if you don't know is a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) which is often labeled a “mini-stroke,” it is more accurately characterized as a “warning stroke,” a warning you should take very seriously.  I don't want to frighten you - as your SX (symptoms) are not totally in line with a TIA. A TIA is caused by a clot; the only difference between a CVA (stroke) and TIA is that with TIA the blockage is transient. TIA SX usually occur rapidly and last a relatively short time. Your SX seem to last longer. I have heard of these episodes tiring ppl. My Aunt recently had one and did not feel "right" for the remainder of the day. She was tired and a bit discombobulated.

Another thought is could your episodes be a form of a seizure. Remember seizures are due to all types of conditions - sometimes it's even difficult to pinpoint a cause.

Last but not least - and most importantly -  I urge you to consult your PCP (Primary Care Physician). What you are describing is not normal, as you know. These can be warning signs of something serious - or it could be as simple (if there is such a thing) as a chemical/hormonal imbalance. You need to know!

I know men when it comes to consulting a physician - I'm married to a 72 year old one. I have to drag him, kicking and screaming to see a physician.  ;o)   Please consult your medical provider - and go soon.

I truly hope you'll keep in touch - please let us know how you are doing. I'll be very interested to hear your DX (diagnosis). I wish you the very best and hope to hear from you very soon.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Thanks for your comments. I'm in close contact with my PCP. As part of our investigation I had a blood test for diabetes, and it was normal. I'm asking him now about the thyroid panel. A cardiologist  found nothing, and a neurologist didn't even try. I have had a couple of ischemic events (in one I temporarily lost my color vision) and also movement disorders: myoclonus, athetosis, and periodic limb movements. I'm trying to get into the university movement disorders clinic, but they are taking their time reviewing my case.
Thanks for replying. I'm happy to hear you are working closely with your PCP.

It's distressing to hear that a neurologist would not even try to determine if your SX may be neuro related.  My friend that's one neurologist - be assertive and find one that will see you. Have you had a recent brain scan?

i have two other suggestions for you. First, hHave you consulted a Vascular Surgeon? If you have a problem with blood vessels in the brain they may be able to help.

Secondly I've also seen Geriatricians preform near miracles. You wouldn't believe my stories. They specialize in the treatment of seniors, usually beginning around the age of 50-55 and up.  A good Geriatrician is worth their weight in gold. They can be difficult to find. However seniors who have an increase in health problems should seek help from a Geriatrician.  They study the aging process. Geriatricians provide individualized care based on the unique needs of the senior patient and are able to distinguish between disease conditions and the effects of normal aging. I highly recommend them.

PCPs are usually a General Practitioner with titles like Family Medicine or sometimes Internal Medicine. Internal Medicine is a better fit for seniors - but still not at the level of a Geriatrician.

You're still young. You should not have to deal with the debilitating SX you have described here. Please keep in touch - and don't give up, no matter how frustrating it can be to find answers.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon - and wish you the very best.

~Tuck

Wow.  You guys are amazing!

Here's my story.  Hubby and I went to buy soup--it was on sale and I was out and wanted to get quite a lot of it.  I have an autoimmune issue (we still arent sure exactly what) and I haven't been feeling 100%. Anyway, by the time we got to the store (about a 10 minute drive)  I was shaking violently  with the worst chills I have ever known and the car heater on full blast.  Hubby went in and grabbed a little bit of soup and when he came back out he took me straight to the ER.  I couldn't walk.  I was very, very confused.  I live in Toronto and the ER's are notoriously slow but to my surprise they took me right in after taking my temp.  It was 40.5C which apparently is quite high.  I'm an American so I didn't think anything of it.

They took a lot of blood and did a chest xray.  Eventually they also did a urine test.  I managed to choke down most of a bagel and a bottle of ginger ale (it was way past dinnertime) after the first bag of saline.  Once the antibiotic was about half in, I was able to stand and walk to the washroom.  About midnight the specialist showed up and decided I had urosepsis but did not need to be admitted.  We got home (with a prescription for Cipro) about 3am, having spent a full 12 hours in the ER.

I am now starting day 5 post ER.  I take my pills faithfully and have doubled my fluids.  The whole time, I still have some episodes of the chills.  I also fall asleep at my desk but can't sleep when I go to bed.  I see flashes of white light in my peripheral vision. I still don't feel able to drive.  My legs, chest, and head hurt constantly.  Yesterday I had many episodes of my fever reaching 100F.  I have short bursts of really intense thinking-like I can form complex theories for work in research.  But they don't last long and i go back to being able to do little more than watch CSI.

I have been up 5 hours on 2 hours sleep.  I have two layers of clothes on (one is fleece), an afghan, and a space heater and I still cant get warm.  My temp yo yos between 97 and 100.  Im hungry, but nauseous.  It's a sickness of contradictions!

From what I am reading it is a real surprise to have gone home after only 12 hours.  THe way I feel now, I question that decision.  I've had to rest twice since starting this post!

I'm going to make an appointment with my family doctor--likely on Monday since it is already Friday morning--and ask her to test what they didn't test in the ER  (A1C, Thyroid, etc)  My blood pressure is way way down too.

At what point should I consider going back to the ER?  Do I wait for a high fever?  I honestly thought I would be at least functional by now!
Hello and a very tardy welcome. I am so very sorry to read about all you have been through!

Unfortunately I was vacation - and your question is posted on an old thread - so it was missed. Sorry! Please begin a new question in the future. We'll get better visibility which will bring more responses.

It's been awhile. I hope you are still monitoring our site. I'm concerned for you - and will add m comments if you are still active.

How are you doing?

Regards,
~Tuck
Thanks so much for your support. The problem has been resolved: it was side effects from ropinerole (Requip). This drug has a raft of side effects.

INFORMATION FROM INTERNET ABOUT ropinirole side effects. I have experienced the following over the approximately 18 months I have used the medication. These were culled from a very long list of symptoms, hence the repetition (the repetition, presumably for emphasis, was in the list itself).

More common
• Confusion
• dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness
• drowsiness
• seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)
• sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
• twisting, twitching, or other unusual body movements
• unusual tiredness or weakness

Less common
• blurred vision
• double vision or other eye or vision problems
• trouble in concentrating
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life