A
A
A
Close
Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Community
49 Members
11403762 tn?1417928078

18 month old SPD?

I have posted in different categories before but someone mentioned this one to me so I thought maybe posting here to get more ideas? I am taking my son to an appointment in December because that's all they have open but just let me give you son info on my 18 month old.

Ever since he was 5 months old he would always have this repetitive hand movement opening and shutting his hands all day over and over he would never stop unless to sleep. Now at 18 months he still does these things but add to hitting every object in the room he can find and this is also non stop repetidly. He also hits his mouth really hard over and over again to where he hurts himself pretty badly. He spins in circles a lot and he throws horrible tantrums. It's getting to be a lot and I'm still just trying to get ideas on if this is SPD or something else. He is a great sleeper, great eater, he took a while to walk and crawl but now he does it no problem, he can't talk except for saying mama and meme other than that he babbles all day but while he's babbling he's hitting everything and I can't make him stop and if I do he throws a tantrum and 5 seconds later he's hitting himself and everything again it's like his brain won't let him stop hitting and it's really hard to see. He does it from the time he's awake to the time he goes to sleep. He doesn't really "play" with toys he scratches objects. He also claps over and over again repetidly in a bad way. What do you think this is? He is loving he lays his head on me all the time but he is not at the level that an 18 month old should be at. Does this sound like SPD or something else? Any ideas on what to do? He smacks everything and hurts himself, he's alright around other kids but he is always always hitting. Help please??!
2 Responses
11403762 tn?1417928078
Also he doesn't have any eating problems or OCD problems he just doesn't listen and hits everything non stop he can't stop it's almost like an obsessive tic.
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there.  I have a sensory kid myself.  It's challenging, I know.  

First, with regards to hitting.  Have you considered getting him something safe to hit?  Or directing him to a way to doing it safely?  Example--  give him a pillow and show him how to hit his fist into that.  or get him a little playschool hammer/wood set (with the pegs you hit into the board) or a tool table that has that attachment for kids.  We had these.  Switch the behavior you are not okay with to something you ARE okay with that gives the same input.  Then you should see less of his hitting himself or banging himself.  

Does he like tight squeezes?  My son is a mixed bag where he loves deep pressure and squeezes but might resist touch.  But to this day, if I give him a very tight hug, more like a squeeze, it calms him.  My sons OT taught him to hug/squeeze himself too.  

How much physical activity does he get?  Prepare yourself, my son had to have hours every single day.  It's a little exhausting and takes great commitment but makes a world of difference.  Sensory or neurological related impulses become less prominent when a child has lots of physical activity.  

I'll help any way I can.  
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
Minneapolis, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease