A
A
A
Close
Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Community
49 Members

3 Year old pushing randomly at school

Hi!

My 3 year old son (diagnosed with SPD), has been randomly pushing kids out of the blue at pre-school. From what the teachers have told us, he does it during circle time and times when the kids are standing next to each other around a table during an activity. She did not complain, but said she was going to try and give him more space during such activities. She said he wasn't doing it out of malice, and he promptly gives the other child a hug and says sorry (when asked to).
He attends OT twice a week - but I think we are to blame, we don't do too much at home. I'm going to speak to the therapist to develop a home based sensory diet, but I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences, and if you have suggestions that have worked for your child. He also tenses his arms and legs a lot, and does it when he's excited or hyperfocussing on an object.

Thank you so much for reading thus far.

1 Responses
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there and welcome.  I think you are really onto something when you say you don't do much at home.  The key to Occupational therapy working is the at home follow up.  Think about it---  you do OT for two hours a week ---  that is not a lot of time to give adequate input into the sensory system.  So, what I did was watch the activities the therapist did and replicated them at home.  We did 'heavy work', muscle work, heavy lifting, deep pressure every single day at home.  This helped balance his sensory system overall and helped him have better behavior.  

The teacher at your son's preschool also should have some activities for during his school day . . .  this could include some wall push ups, marching with slapping feet down, etc.  

I have more ideas to share if you are interested.

good luck dear
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
Minneapolis, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease