A
A
A
Close
Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Community
49 Members
973741 tn?1342342773

504 plans

So, we had no plan in place for my son at school ---  neither an IEP or 504 plan.  He's now in the 4th grade and although he has sensory integration disorder, he's done pretty well in elementary school.  He's quite bright and definitely all should know that having a developmental delay and sensory processing disorder does not mean it has anything to do with a person's intelligence.  Straight A's prevail thus far along with accelerated academics added to challenge him.  

But, I was recently approached by his teachers to discuss a need for accommodations that might help him in his academic career.  At first, I felt a bit conflicted about this because I was so proud of how well he was doing and didn't want any preconceived notions each school year as he got a new teacher. But, what his teachers said made sense.  it protects him for the future.  Not just elementary school but middle and high school and even college.  The things he has in his plan are not anything dramatic but just  helpful things like he is allowed to stand in the classroom instead of having to sit in a chair.  he's allowed to walk around the class room and take movement breaks to increase his focus.  he's allowed a hand fidget and chewing gum.  Etc.  

Don't be afraid of a plan.  It's a way to get your child the things they may need in the school setting to be more comfortable AND more successful.  
1 Responses
8221281 tn?1397570972
agreed. Nothing at all wrong with a 504 or IEP

/mom of autistic child
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
Minneapolis, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease