Aa
A
A
A
Close
Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Community
49 Members

Can you offer advice?

My 6 year old was recently diagnosed with ADHD combined type and complex motor tics. I am reaching out to all of you because I feel like he could be misdiagnosed. He's having a difficult time in school with making noises, facial grimicing and his new obessions- arm pit farting and noises that sound like a gulp and another one that makes a sound like bowwww. He's been having a lot of trouble with these issues. As a baby he had benign mycolnic seizures quite frequently. He's developmentally on par with his peers but the noises, sniffing, arm flapping, facial grimacing and arm pit farting have me wondering if there is more to him than ADHD. I should also mention that he has a need for tight snuggling and refuses to sleep in his own bed unless someone's body is against him. I am starting to realize there is a need for sensory input and maybe all of the above are pointing to a sensory disorder... Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. I am at a loss on what to do and I want to help my son.
2 Responses
189897 tn?1441130118
     It is not unusual for sensory and ADHD issues to be combined.  Usually, the sensory gets over looked.   I just posted a nice video on sensory which might help answer some of your questions.  But, I think it would be a good idea to see an OT.  The end of the video also has some very good resources listed.
973741 tn?1342346373
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there and welcome.  Gosh, my son also has had vocal and motor tics.  He is diagnosed with sensory integration disorder.  We feel his tics are also related to anxiety because they are worse when he is nervous.  He also uses them as a soothing tool for himself.  It helps keep him regulated if that makes sense.  I feel your pain though.  It's hard to see such an outward sign of inward struggle and you worry about social ramifications.

Working on helping my son feel less overwhelmed helps tremendously.  It also helps to keep his whole system regulated through working his sensory diet (for him that includes things like competitive swimming year round, 4 practices a week).  

Come back and tell us how he is doing.  good luck
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
Minneapolis, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease