Bleeding after having sex for the first time?

So, my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time today. All seemed normal, except that we noticed a lot of blood down there several hours later, and we were unable to have sex again because of it. Should I be concerned? I'm on oral contraceptives.
This is a tricky one. It could be that your body is still adjusting to the oral contraceptive you're taking, or an irritation caused by his penis hitting your cervix.  I, myself have experienced these types of freaky bleeding accidents. Once, in college with a guy, I was dating, and again with my former husband. At first when it occurred, I was not only horrified, but embarrassed as well, but my boyfriend at the time thought it was nothing for me to be alarmed by since that the bleeding subsided as soon as we were done having intercourse. It didn't happen again for some years afterwards, but occurred while I was vacationing with my then current husband the night we were married.  

My new husband felt there was also no cause for alarm, and just patted himself on the back for a job well-done. I was mortified, and immediately scheduled an appointment with my obgyn, who told me that sometimes when a male is well endowed, his penis can sometimes irritate the bottom of the cervix by putting too much pressure on it as you're engaging in intercourse. I was somewhat relieved by her explanation, but still in dismay since that it had already happened 3 times prior. I am now divorced, and have dated since those days. No more freaky bleeding accidents have occurred. Thank goodness. My advice to you would be if  these accidents continue is to see your obgyn as early as possible. Better to be safe than sorry. Best wishes to you
Hi, It's me again. I'm sorry its your first time. Bleeding after intercourse for the first time is normal in most cases. A womans vaginal opening is somewhat protected by a tissue called a "hymen", that is usually torned during sexual activity. At most if it isn't, It is removed during durning childbirth by an obstetrician during delivery. As I mentioned in an previous post if this bleeding continues after you've been engaging in sex for some time. See your doctor.

You are reading content posted in the Sexual Health Community