Sexual Health Community
13.5k Members
Avatar universal


For the last 6 months or so maybe more, I have been having a reoccurring issue that no one can seem help me resolve, let alone find the reason for. I'm at my wits end with this and I'm scared that it might be something more serious. So anyway like I said the last 6 months or more I have been having this horrible horrible foul smelling odor coming from my vagina. and I've done everything I can possibly think of to resolve it. it even smells after I have a shower. it's been so bad that I really feel like my husband doesn't want have sex with me anymore. I know it's not an STD because I've been with the same man for 10 years and I know he hasn't been out with another either. because they're both disabled so we're both home together all the time. but I have done everything from douching, using the summers Eve wipes to clean in between showers and after sex, to using pH balance soap, going to the doctor and being on every different kind of antibiotic and cream that they can give me and everything. nothing seems to be working. I don't have much of a discharge and its normal for the most part. but I do seem to be having stale foul smelling urine along with it. there's no pain and there's no itching. I just don't get it! what is wrong with me? can anybody please help me? I'm so self conscious about it and I'm even a little embarrassed to have sex with my own husband. I feel like the whole world can smell it! it seems to get worse and stronger once I climax after coitus. I just want to get rid of that once and for all. please can somebody help not only give me peace of mind but give me some type of idea what this could be because I'm scared its something serious. due to the fact that I have extreme female problems like PMDD and endometriosis and I've had a hysterectomy because of cervical cancer. on top of all that I also have a tilted uterus and extremely overactive vaginal muscle walls. (which I actually had to go to therapy for) I can't take much more of this if anybody can give me some type of idea of what I'm doing with her what could be wrong with me and how to take care of it and get rid of it I would be so appreciative and so thankful.. please
4 Responses
1667242 tn?1487954147
This sounds like a mixed bacterial vaginosis. It can be resistant to treatment. Vaginal ph is key to recovery. I presume that you have tried Flagyl vaginal suppositories?
4851940 tn?1515698193
Make an appointment to see your doctor and ask for a swab to be taken to be sent to the laboratory to be analysed.  This will show whether there is any bacterial or fungal infections that need treatment with specific medications.  If it is found that you have something that needs treatment, your husband may also need to be treated at the same time, depending of what the cause is.

Do NOT douche.  Douching may sound like a good idea, but this actually destroys the pH balance on the skin.  Instead use plain water only.  Never use normal soap, shower or bath gels and no feminine sprays.  They will make you smell even worse.

Only wash your clothes in detergents that are non biological and choose a detergent that has NO perfume.  If you use a fabric softener, only use the ones that are suitable for people with allergies and again choose one that has no or hardly any perfume.  You do NOT need to use fabric softeners when you dry your clothes in the dryer.  I find clothes are fine without the fabric softener in the drier.  What I would do though, is hand dry any delicate and nylon fabrics as these tend to get a lot of electric statistic and will stick to you.

You can purchase from the pharmacy or your doctor can prescribe for you a moisturising emollient that you can use instead of soap.  You are doing the right thing by using a pH friendly soap.  

Never wear manmade fabric underpants nylons or tight trousers.  Always choose the cotton garments and loose clothing.  The cotton fabrics will help your skin to breathe.

Eat a healthy and well balanced diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.  
If you are not allergic to dairy, eat natural set yogurt, this will help your good gut bacteria.  This can be also applied to dried and gently dried genitals if there is any soreness and or itching.  Men can do this to their genitals as well as women.

If you are not very mobile and sit for a long time, sweating can happen down below and this can encourage yeast overgrowth (a skin swab would show if you have a fungal infection).  
If you can, allow fresh air to get to your genitals by not wearing any underpants.  

Buy in bulk Epsom Salts (you can purchase this from the web at a fair price) and put 2 to 3 large handfuls of it into bath water and soak in that.  You may need to squirt a few drops of baby oil or add some coconut because Epsom Salts dries the skin.  The great thing about Epsom Salts is that it neutralises the pH on the skin and also contains magnesium that is absorbed through our skin which is good for us.   Another good bath soak that is excellent for the skin and health is Himalayan salt - this, and Epsom Salts can be purchased at a fair price from the web, but do shop around to get a good price.  These will be delivered to your door.  Only purchase enough that you can lift.  Alternatively, if you purchase a large amount ask the delivery man to put it in a room out of the way and then scoop some out into another container to take to your bathroom.  Sometimes when you order a large amount, the box may contain small packets of the salts - the Himalayan salts I ordered came measured out in small packets rather than loose in the box.

When you have sex, always go and have a pee, even if you are too tired to shower down below.  Preferably though shower every morning and before going to bed.  Your husband should also shower down below every day.

If you use condoms, only use the latex free ones.  Some people have an allergy to latex.
Hope things get sorted out soon for you.
Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes.
quite a comprehensive answer.
Avatar universal
"...I have extreme female problems like PMDD and endometriosis and I've had a hysterectomy because of cervical cancer. on top of all that I also have a tilted uterus and extremely overactive vaginal muscle walls."

You have a complicated situation:  
1. First, if you have had a hysterectomy, you should not still *have* a uterus, because the meaning of the word hysterectomy is 'removal of the uterus.'  

2. In a hysterectomy, the ovaries may also be removed.  Do you still have yours?  If not, are you allowed estrogen replacement?  The lack of estrogen would explain a number of your symptoms, and would actually be related to the foul-smelling urine you note.

3.  For your cervical cancer, was surgery the only treatment, or did you have chemo or radiation?  The surgery alone can alter sensation and function, but the other treatments can *really* do a number on sexual well being and function.

4.  Have you seen a urologist for the foul-smelling urine?  I really believe in going to a specialist for this.  The problem can be caused by white blood cells in the urine, which occurs with a bladder infection, but it can also be caused by an infection further up in the kidneys.  In your case, that possibility should be investigated.

5. You mention that you have been going to "the doctor" and "and being on every different kind of antibiotic and cream that they can give me."  What kind of doctor have you been seeing?  With the numerous problems you are experiencing, I believe you should be seen by several specialists, certainly one who deals with for post-cancer therapies for gynecological cancers, and another for PMDD and maybe dyspareunia, since you mentioned "overactive vaginal muscle walls. (which I actually had to go to therapy for)"

Here's more information on that:

Good luck in finding some help.  I believe there is hope for you, but it will take some research and getting referred to very knowledgeable specialists.

4851940 tn?1515698193
Sorry, I forgot to mention in my very long post, that sometimes a bad smell in the private area can be from the urine.  This can happen if you have a urinary tract infection or have any problem with any part of the urinary tract and if you have kidney stones.  With kidney problems, the urine can smell very strong just like liver and kidneys.
Initially, your GP would be your first port of call to examine your urine and send it to the laboratory for analysis.  If you do have any particular symptoms that could be related to the urinary tract the doctor would be able to send you for an ultrasound scan.  If there were found to be any issues, the doctor would refer you to the urologist who specialises in urinary problems.

Using antibiotics will kill off the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria that the antibiotic is prescribed to kill.  When this happens, the pH level changes.  This then in turn encourages and promotes the overgrowth of yeast cells leading to fungal infections.  Fungal infections can cause itching of the skin as well sores and swelling.  
When you are prescribed an antibiotic, the doctor can prescribe an antifungal medication like Itraconazole.  This can be  given as a single dose capsule or if you are prone to getting fungal infections the doctor can prescribe a longer course of antifungal medication.  For the soreness and itching on the skin in the genital area, an antifungal cream is sometimes prescribed.  Fungal infections in the mouth are treated by a gel specifically for oral thrush or antifungal mouth drops.
It is very important for strict hygiene - washing in the morning and before going to bed.  Follow the advice I gave you before regarding soaps etc. and wear clean cotton underpants every day.
It is also very important to drink plenty of fluid, especially water.  Follow the advice of your doctor or a urologist if you see one, but usually 2 litres of water a days is recommended, more if you sweat a lot.  Never overdo it on fluids and water, that can be just as dangerous as not drinking enough.
Always consult with your doctor if you have any problems or concerns.
Have an Answer?
Top Sexual Health Answerers
139792 tn?1498589250
Indore, India
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dim the lights and break out the…eggs? These 10 foods will kick your sex drive into high gear.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
The surprising benefits of getting busy
Pain, cramps and spotting — when should you call the doctor?
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.