Sexual Health Community

Having emotional outbursts due to the depo provera shot

I had gotten the depo provera shot about 4-5 weeks ago. When I first got it I was fine and my period had stop right away but the mood swings haven't. Now I'm really not sure how to handle it I try my best to stay calm but I end up having outbursts about 2-3 a week for senseless reasons.
Should I contact a doctor? Will they be able to prescribe me anything, or should I just hold on until the end of the 12 weeks?

Lastly, I would like to continue birth control but a different kind. What would you suggest. (Besides the pill. I'm bad at remembering things like that.)
COMMUNITY LEADER

Mood swings and irritability aren't uncommon for Depo users, but it is considered a side effect.  I was on Depo for almost 5 years before I quit it; it worked great because I didn't have to remember a pill, but it did make me extremely tired and moody at times.  You should contact your doctor to see what your options are. Possibly lowering your depo dose, or changing to another form of birth control altogether might be the right answer for you?

Good Luck