Sore on ring under penis head after unprotected sex

I have been having this problem for a while now.  Whenever I have unprotected sex, the area around the head of my penis, more or less the circumcision ring, will become red and sore almost like it has been rubbed against something. My current girlfriend went to the doctor because after having sex(we just started being sexually active together) her vagina was red and irritated and somewhat itchy.  The doctor said that she had a yeast infection and gave her a cream and also pills.  I went to my doctor and he said that I probably did not have a male yeast infection and to simply use more lubrication during sex.  However, this also seems to happen if I masturbate using lubrication, so I really don't know what the issue is.  I have used different creams--neosporin right after this happens, hydrocortisone, Bag Balm, even lotrimin.  The lotrimin caused my penis to become red and also the skin to peel somewhat so I stopped using that.  Does anyone have any advice or similar experience?
I wonder if you had an inflammatory reaction while she was yeasty, and it hasn't cleared up yet.  It makes sense, b/c when you have unprotected sex there is a lot more friction, particularly on the crus of the glans (the ring you described).

Give it some time with condom-only sex and see if it heals.  If not you may need to go back and get a stronger steroid cream - just make sure you get this from a doc, because they cause atrophy (thinning) of the skin with prolonged use.