Sexuality & Relationships Forum

Burning and Pain During and After Sex

So ever since I got put on birth control the Depo Provera shot I have been experiencing a whole lot of pain to where I can't even have intercourse. I went to my doctor she said I need to go through therapy because I tense my muscles up when I am having lower abdominal pains, I had the abdominal pains before I got on the shot but they were no where near as bad as they are now. right along with the burning and pain and the itchieness of my vagina. It is so painful. Well to sum it up the dumb doctor gave me a brochure on bladder control and in the brochure it says nothing about the pain that I am having. The pain lasts anywhere from 30-45 minutes at at time after sex. I don't know what is wrong with me. It's been pretty bad for about a month now and I can't handle it anymore. Sometimes even with the slightest touch from myself it hurts or burns and itches. I have never had a yeast infection before and my boyfriend said that it could be that and I told him I don't know because I have never had one. So any help would be great. Thank you.
Hello.

You are asking questions which cannot be answered without a thorough exam. Have you seen a gynecologist? You need to see one ASAP and describe ALL your symptoms, as you've detailed them in this post. There are so many possibilities, too numerous to list here--including yeast infections, STDs, etc.

However, it's also possible that you're having involuntary tightening of your vaginal muscles due to stress, fear, anxiety or some other reason. If this is true, this can create lots of pain.

If you don't have a gynecologist, go to your nearest Planned Parenthood or women's clinic for an exam. They're frequently low-cost, confidential and likely to provide you with excellent care as well as the opportunity to talk about this issue. If there's no physiological cause, it's likely there are some emotional issues such as those discussed above. In that case, you might want to see a counselor who is trained to help women with sexual concerns. Best of luck to you. Dr. J
Dim the lights and break out the…eggs? These 10 foods will kick your sex drive into high gear.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
The surprising benefits of getting busy
Pain, cramps and spotting — when should you call the doctor?
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.