no sexual urge

I am a young 24 year old male who has no urges to have sex. Masturbation does not result in much pleasure. I am depressed but other than that my health is normal.

Should I be worried?

I am unhappy about not having urges. I have no partner however, I feel no joy either. I expected my urges to be constant and very high given my age.

I have been very careful about diet and exercise yet nothing has helped.

Could there be something seriously wrong?

Hi Jim:

Yes, depression can severely affect your sexual feelings. We call it "depression" because, in effect, this condition depresses all joy, enthusiasm, etc. So sex is not immune.

True clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain which can be greatly helped with a combination of verbal and pharmacological therapy. Be aware that some anti-depressants can also inhibit erection and orgasm, so you may need to try a combination of several before you and your therapist discover the right one for you.

It's important that you seek professional help so you can get your life back. Time to experience joy again! Best of luck. Dr. J
maybe its due to some depression???, but i believe the more you think about it the more of a problem it becomes.....
I am 20 years old and have the same problem.  I can still achieve an erection but dont have much of an urge for sex.  Im also single and have been quite depressed in the past year or so.  I know this isnt much help but I was hoping to get some answers too. Thanks.
Depression can totally do it. Also, if you take drugs, especially narcotics. I am not judging you if you do, I just wanted to let you know. has there been a time before when you felt differently?
well yes, when I was in my late teenage years.

My sexual urges were constantly high. Now they are constantly low.

You are reading content posted in the Sexuality & Relationships Forum

Dim the lights and break out the…eggs? These 10 foods will kick your sex drive into high gear.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
The surprising benefits of getting busy
Pain, cramps and spotting — when should you call the doctor?
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.