Causes of shingles

I am 28 years old. I had shingles around my left last month. I went to see a doctor, who prescribed me acyclovir. It in fact worked very well and the rashes were gone in a week after i started taking the medicines. I read that shingles is mostly common in those who are above 50 years old, with HIV, or it may also cause because of stress. It freaked me out cause I am just 28 years old, so i went for HIV testing and it was negative.  I am now curious to know if it is common to have shingles at this age, what could have possibly caused shingles on me? Do I have weak immune system?
I would be very thankful if someone puts his expert idea on this matter.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Im not 100% sure but I think anyone can get shingles and I really dont think the HIV thing is right?...
Helpful - 0
I asked my doctor if I should get the shingles shot. He said I had a good immune system and sufficient vitamin D, so it was not necessary.
Helpful - 0
brad, yes you are right it is very uncommon or rare for someone in your age group to develope shingles.   My daughter is in her early 20's, a med student and she also had a bad case of shingles one month ago shortly after an extremely stressfull event occured in her personal life.  Her MD could not beleive this given her age and the severity of her shingles.  She recovered fully after one course of antivirals, however, she's still under stress and I worry for her about another flare up in the future.  Best thing is to try to take time out, less stress and beef up the immune system to lower the risk for another flare up.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Shingles Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions