Shingles Community
220 Members

shingles?

Hi - 2-3 days ago I developed a red, somewhat itchy, irritated rash on my neck in a v pattern - distribution starts under both ears, drops down to a point at the top of my upper chest.  Yesterday, the rash moved to my face, around my nose and mouth.  Now I have small, red raised nodules on my torso.  They're not especially painful, but I take a lot of pain meds for my neck issues.  I am immune suppressed - I take azathioprine for Crohn's Disease.  Never had anything like this before.  I'm 56, have had chicken pox when I was a kid, and have been under severe stress of late.  I've got all the signs.  My doc looked at my neck and face yesterday and thought it was just some type of allergic reaction and told me to use hydrocortisone.  That's not doing a thing.  I'm going to start taking benadryl to see if that helps, but thought I'd see if anyone had an opinion on Shingles.  Thanks.
I am just recovering from shingles and the worst nerve pain I've ever had. This is on top of my debilitating Multiple Sclerosis.  My blisters/sores started in the palm of my left hand and ran all up my arm - under  my arm and up my neck.

The pain (and blisters) runs along the nerve endings and in my case the nerve pain up the neck and ear was exruciating and unrelenting and made me very nauseous. I had a course of Acyclovir (Zovirax) and strong pain killers.  I am left with post herpetic nerve pain in my arm which has lasted 6 weeks so far. My doctor said it is not uncommon in patients with MS (some say there is a definite link) and he said his sister, who has MS, had shingles which affected her eye which can cause blindness unless treated rapidly.

I think you should get a second opinion.  Good luck
Thanks for your reply - sorry for your experience - sounds awful.  Not fair on top of MS.  My stuff is clearing up, so obviously not shingles - but thanks for your help.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions