Sickle Cell Anemia Community
39 Members

Hip replacement at young age

I had osteomyelitis (bone infection) due to a salmonella septicaemia when I was 11 years old, it almost drove me out of life, but fortunately my body recovered although I had to wear a wheelchair for almost 3years and do a lot of physiotherapy. Now at 25yo, I still struggle with the sequels of the osteomyelitis, with a last-degree arthrosis in the right hip and a collapsed head of the left femur...I have indication that I should have hip replacement (put prothesis), but that it should be postponed as much as possible because of the time span these prothesis have and how complicated surgery is. However I am in constant pain and have limited my movement back to a wheelchair, which is taking a huge emotional toll in me... What should I do? Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Thanks for all the support!
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else