Sickle Cell Anemia Community
39 Members

Sickle cell

I am 18 years old and I'm 13 weeks pregnant with the rarest type of sickle cell (s/o Arab). I don't know what to expect. This is my first pregnancy. Is it true that my child may be born early? May you please tell me some things I should be aware of? Please and thanks.
What where some of your signs? I think I may be pregnant but not to sure.
Mine is genotype SC. I have a son, also expecting another baby now. The truth is it wasn't easy . I gave birth to my son at 36 weeks via c section.  You have to have a lot of faith.  I was in and out of hospitalization,  close monitoring and several blood transfusions but in the end,  it was worth it.  Apart from the fact that my son was 2.3kg, he was and is still a perfect child, very intelligent.  He'll be 3 in october. So I wish you good luck.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else