Sickle Cell Anemia Community
39 Members

wat to eat to increase platelets

hw can we increase my blood platelets its count is only13000 can you pls suggest some home remedy to increase it...i woud be really thankful to u....
I hope you mean 130,000 rather than 13,000!

From what I can see doing a search online, there is nothing nutritionally known to increase platelet counts.  I have an old book called A Manual of Laboratory Diagnostic Tests, 2nd edition by Frances Fischbach.  It states low platelets happen with:
"(a) Idiopathic thromobytopenic purpura
(b) Pernicious, aplastic, and hemolytic anemias
(c) After massive blood transfusion
(d) Pneumonia
(e) Allergic conditions
(f) Exposure to DDT and other chemicals
(g) During cancer chemotherapy
(h) Infection
(i) lesions involving the bone marrow
(j) toxic effects to many drugs"

Did a doctor you saw order this test?  Did they pursue discovering the cause and treating you for the cause of the low platelet count?
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else