Skin Cancer Community

Both big toes hematoma/ bruise or nail melanoma?

Hello, I'm a 34 yrs old woman. Both of my big great toes look bruised at the toe nail around the inner lateral nail folds.. I noticed this about 2 or 3 weeks ago. No injury,no strenuous exercising,changes of shoes, etc. I'm debating on hematoma or nail melanoma. I know nail melanoma is rare, especially same toes simultaneously, but I just want to be on the safe side because im scared.. Is it possible when someone does get this rare melanoma CA that someone would get it on both big toes? My grandmother died at age 50 from skin melanoma...I wish I could take pics and post for people to see.I won't have peace of mind until I see a derm..
I seems highly unlikely that you would get melanoma on both toes at the same time.  Here's a good article detailing risks, with some photos and explanations about the differences (and progression) of a hematoma versus melanoma:; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2987777/  It also lists the risk factors.  Unless you live in a super sunny climate, where your toes are exposed to the sun a lot, it is HIGHLY unlikely.

It's always good idea to see a doctor if you're concerned, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about melanoma unless you've got several of the risk factors - the most important one being heavy sun exposure.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
From freckles to fungus, skin and nail problems can be stressful. Dermatologists tell us how to remedy common crises.
Learn the 5 warning signs of skin cancer
See our picks for the best buys and must-have ingredients to protect your skin
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize