Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
Okay last night I had a dream i was laying down with my dog and i felt like I was awake but i wasn't and my laptop was on my stomach and the door was shakeing by itself and I couldn't talk or move so in my head I had to scream JESUS CHRIST! and it went away and i turned my light on it was around 3:00 am i could not go back to sleep
Hi. I too have had similiar dreams/experiences with demonic presences that i have had since i was a child. I thought seriously that the devil was after me and trying to kill me in my sleep, so i told my grandma one day, and i was so ashamed as i had tears streaming down my face because I couldn't stand to be afraid to fall asleep anymore. i mean i was 11 years old and sleeping wid a Bible. Well she told me to pray and that when it happened again to call on Jesus and believe in my heart that he would deliver me.  Over the years, doing this has helped me to "break free" from the terrifying experiences. But, i still have one occasionally and when a couple of months ago they started to reoccur, i researched a blog such as this as was relieved to sum it up as the medical term *sleep paralysis* and that many people have experienced this. Now why am i back on here you say???well weeks ago one night I was asleep and lucid dreaming sitting with my fam- i remember laughing hysterically and woke up laughing but when i dozed back off to sleep i was in the back of a car sitting in my grandmother's back yard and i felt trapped and partially paralyzed. whats terrifying is that i cld feel these hands all over me almost pervertly caressing me and i felt a sense of dread and despair like i was dying and like whatever was holding me would never let me go. Somehow i got angry and broke free of its grasp, i opened the car door and cld hear it get out of the car behind me. this dream was soooo real that i don't even think it was a dream. it was tooo realistic. i was afraid to face whatever it was and when i did, i started to cry bc staring back at me was a man in dark clothing almost like a suit. His hair was long and stringy and he was covered in blood. he reached for me, almost sadly and didn't seem like he was trying to hurt me only hold me. he touched me and i remember feeling those sticky bloody fingers touching my skin. I told him to leave me alone but somehting in me told me i couldn't run from him bc he wld find me. so i looked in his face which had blood stringy hair stuck to the left side of it and i realized he was ((satan?)))idk but thats how i felt. He stared at me and his eyes were red but not like a glowing red in the movies, like that was his natural color and i could see the pupils and thats what shockedme. it was unreal. I honest to God felt like this was a real entity in front of me bc i know when im dreaming and have killed a few *demons* in these dreams,but he seemed like a real person and he gave me this melancholy feeling. I thought for a moment and the bible verse Phil 4:13 came to my mind and i said those words and it looked at me like i had hurt its feelings but it did not move. But for some reason i felt stronger and more confident. i told it to leave in Jesus name and it kinda cringed but still stood there. I hit it and it hit me back and the dream started to fade. Needless to say when I awaken i knew that i was close to dying and that somehow by calling on God and his word I was delivered. I got saved that morn, it had to be 3am. I said the sinner's prayer and now am continuing my walk with Jesus. Thanks for telling this forum exactly what it is: spiritual warfare. God be with us all.Amen!!!!

I to had the same experience and it all felt real. No lie, but one time i had a dream that i was with a bunch of nude women and i actually felt everything in real life. That happen when i was young, around 10. Then i had another dream that felt real, i was standing on top of a building, and something told me to "jump off" so i did but didn't want to and when i was falling in the dream i felt it all, all the free-fall and it was all in my legs (similar when your on a broadcaster). Few months ago i was watching Spikes Tv show: 1,000 ways to die, and it had a part were this lady died in her dreams and she felt a man or some sort of demon on top of her, and her doctor said it was some sort of sleeping disorder, were a part of your brain is awake and sleep. The sleep part is were the demon like thing is on you or choking you. And the awake part is were you can actually feel  this in your dream, and  your brain make images of what is happening to you in real life. So in the ladies dream she died due to this, and i believe they said her heart rate was beating really fast and had a huge adrenalin. Of what i researched up i found: Night terror, (pavor nocturnus) which is a type of Parasomnias disorders.  You may want  to Google it up and find as much as you can about this disorder, because this is really serious. You all should also try sleep disorders.
The cause of These bad Dreamsare differen't for everyone. What i do know is that sleeping on you side preferably your left side is the best way to sleep. Keep a little book to document your dreams - its best to do it soon as you wake up so its fresh in your head. from there you can take it to a specialist or have more info  to look up online. For try making a concious effort of falling asleep on either your left of right side. Hope this helps
WOW...I came on here looking to see if anyone had similiar experiences like me and it's a relief (although unfortunate, as well) to hear that there are others out there that have shared in this disturbing encounter.  This happened to me the first time a few months ago in a hotel room on a business trip; I was by myself and I stayed up way too late (east coast vs. west) and had fallen asleep for maybe five minutes.  The dream was so lucid that I could see the light shining from under the door, could hear sounds, etc.  Suddenly, I saw a figure coming at me...it was definitely a person but I couldn't make out any features; it was just a very dark shadow of a body.  It came on top of me and felt like it was going to take advantage of or hurt me.  I could truly feel hands and pressure and it felt as real as it could possibly be.  I could hear talking outside of the room and I tried so hard to move, shout, scream my way out of the dream but was paralyzed.  It literally felt like I did all I could to wake up.  Once I did, the same thing ocurred and I realize I wasn't yet awake!  When I did finally wake up I was tripped out and uncomfortable, especially because I was alone.  I didn't want to fall asleep but did and it happened again.  I felt so odd the next day and I couldn't shake it.  Happened again last night...went to bed late all week, totally knowing I was exhausted and this time was in a weird place/party with my husband and strangers...they hurt my finger and started hurting me and I could feel it...he was there but doing nothing to help me, almost ignoring me (which I think is because he was lying next to me in bed) and I screamed as hard as I could thinking my voice might actually break through the dream to him to wake up or have him wake me up.  I did everything to break through and it no sound or penetration.  I finally woke up scared and realized it had only been a small time since I fell asleep (was on my back) and had to fight the sleep and try to think of something positive before allowing myself to fall back because I knew I'd drift right back.  Needless to say, I felt like a terrified child with a nightmare, one that I used to have when I was little and it sucked.  I'm completely wierded out about it and hope it doesn't happen again.  Sorry so long but it feels good to just talk about it!   Also, for the poster who explained that they felt like they truly flew as a child...I can clearly remember running in our house telling my mom I just flew following me taking a leap on my front sidewalk and flying to the other side.  I thought it to be true, as well as someone coming to my window late at night.  I felt these were real things and still do today!!!!!
i thought i was the only one having these dreams. ok so ive noticed i have them when im reaaalllyyy exhausted, like as soon as i lay my head i feel like in a different dimension. my eyes feel opened i hear everything around me and even louder like my fan for example its so loud its scary, not always do i see figures but the times i have yeah its crazy they do get closer to u and in your face , like you feel heavy  and i try to scream but i can i try to move but i can i keep telling myself i know its this dream again but i cant help the feeling i still get so scared, my heart beats fast and i breathe heavily so someone can hear me that way atleast. one day i had a sleep over with one of my girlfrends and as i was having this dream i was tryng to scream but notthing came out i finally woke up and she told me i was sleep talking and she thought it was funny . ok so wow when i read your post i was like wow this is sooo me!!! im telling you i dont always see figures but i always have tehse dreams its crazy idk what else to say!

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.