Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
yes i can totally relate like ur tellin my story!
Hi reading this seems crazy Ive been experiencing the same thing on an off for years.Tonite was the worse it kept happening where I cant move I try to wake up i cant it trys to pull me in a deeper sleep Im fighting to get up I cant but Im always scared if I let it pull me into that deep sleep I will die in my sleep. I can feel him holdin my back down im trying to move any part of my body to wake up im praying to god to help me please hes in my ear repeating me as I ask god to help me .When I do brake out of it I go to the livingroom an tell my husband it scared the **** out of me. I was crying. I dont sleep on my back i sleep on my side. It still happens. I never heard it speak in my ear before.
the first 1 i had was a man warning means teling me not to worry hes watching me told me Daand he said he had the same 1 when he was in his 20s aswell and told me what happind after with his dreams the next time i had a dream where i couldnt move it felt weary and gave me a scary feeling and iv never been really scared of anything not tryingto sound hard just the way i am/was andafter that i was visiting my Ma and the rest of me family and i had a realy bad 1 i was on my side leaning out of the bed screaming for my sisters help but nothing would come out iv had a load since then and i always no whenits going to hapen but i refuse to let it beat me when its hapening i tell myself its not real i once woke up 4 times before actually wakeing up if you understand what i mean i get them worse when i visit me Ma the worst wherethe last i had there a few months ago a old woman kinda goastly trying to get me screaming the fisrt time i woke up face down in my pillow holding my cross for dear life and the last 1 she nearly got me and i woke up saying a prayer i didnt no and it freaked me lil bro out he knew it he said it was a prayer to worn of evil spirits its a old gealic prayer i dont realy speak Irish havnt since i was a kid and lost touch with it  anyway i got in a conversasion withme aunt about it and she told me the next time it happend say go into the light 3 times and it should stop and since iv done that iv only had 1 or 2 light 1s since and find it easier to wake myself up sorry it took so long to get to the help!
Does sleep paralysis only occur while you're lying on your back?
I have these dreams the night after having a big drinking session. They are very, very vivid. It's literally like I'm laid in bed with my eyes open as if trying to fall asleep and things happen. One being 3 very tall figures over standing my bed with long greasy black hair with no face, and the other being having a bald pale creature crawling around my room in the dark only to breathe on my face and put its face right up to mine and you literally can't see it, only feel its breathe and hear it in the pitch black. I'm stuck to the bed and can't even move my arms to turn the light on. I know I was dreaming when I wake up properly (in the morning when I have to get up) but the dream itself is unbelievably real. If you yourself are cutting down in drinking or smoking I'm almost certain this I a side affect cos my dream have started since I have.

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.