Sleep Disorders Community

Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
I'm really scared now. After reading all the comments I just don't see why so many ppl with different back grounds and different life stressers would alll have the same type of dream. And in my dreams I can't speak or move either. I try to tell what's ever after me I'm not frightened by it. But it really never helps. And the crazy thing is, is I can have these creepy dreams 3 times in a row in one night. I have even had these dreams sleeping right next to my boyfriend once. Oh and I never sleep on my back. I always sleep on my side. Has anyone gotten any answers? Ps I do go to church and very much believe in God and when I go to sleep I pray not to have these dreams. Sometimes it helps. But not always. Sometimes I think because I'm so scared to have this nightmare that, that that's why I do...but why would I have even had one to begin with??
Because the differences in our DNA are so, so small. We are all humans, this is how our insides work, this is how we perceive the world; some things boil down to the same kind of sand. I

t was quite easy once for me to associate the sound of a chainsaw with the sound of an electroshock. And I felt it right on my spine, temporarily paralyzing me. I also have the 'face up pseudo-nightmare half-awake' syndrome. Neanderthals would have never had this kind of brainstorms that is for sure, so feel good about them.

You say you are religious, try invoking your Deity in the dream instead of "it's not gonna hurt me", it may have a stronger effect on your subconscious.

@all:

There (was) is also an upside for me. I used to dream myself flying or if not flying making some enormous leaps within a moonish gravity. When I was younger, I ould just keep on flying for 90% of the dream, but as I got older, I have gradually started struggling to keep myself above floating more and more, until this kind of dream eventually went away. Not definitively, but I now get the flight dream once an year at best.

Best memory I got relates to a lucid dreaming state - it was the first properly celebrated Christmas in our family. In 1989, after the communist regime had fallen in the country I am living in (the dictator was also an anti-church freak which banned Santa Klaus among other christian rituals and habits). My parents set up a wonderful fir tree all shiny and aroma-scented, and brought in the presents. I got overwhelmed by this new 'Christmas spirit' thing and when my parents left me alone with sitting by the christmas tree with the presents, I started levitating. It lasted for about 5-10 seconds, no more. In the same minute I had woken up and went to tell mom and dad. The most fascinating thing was that feeling so real, only after years I have realized what had really happened in that night - I was only 4 years old, and I can still remember it now. Same mechanics as with the nightmares ? probably...
i have been having these same dreams for a long time, almost everynight. In my dream im  in my bedroom and everything is exactly the same, in the exact same place. right as i fall asleep something evil with a horrid voice calls my name i cant see its face, just a shadowy figure it tries to choke me and its like it is trying to enter into my body i try to wake myself but its hard. my girlfriend told me one night my whole body was shaking rapidly as i slept. the dreams are just way to vivid.  why i am posting tonight is because i just had another one a short while ago but as i was falling asleep on my couch i was thinking in my mind that i havent had one of these nightmares in a while because i have never had one as i slept on the couch. But at that moment i could feel a presence behind my couch i began to feal really cold as i began hearing a freaky laugh; which is the same laugh  i always hear in my other nightmares. they are always the same nightmares. when i am able to wake myself from them and fall back asleep i have the same one overand over again some times i cant tell if i am awake or aleep. i am just wondering if any of you have had the feeling that these are not just dreams but a reality
see my question on paralysis while asleep. bevie01 good luck
I just woke up terrified again!!  I'm not one to be afraid but i felt it something come out of me...  I was peralized i tried to move my girlfriend snapped me out of it when i was telling it to go away...  This is not the first time this has happened were i feel like something is holding me down so i cann't move...  I feel like i can't breath then i get this tingling sensation down my body and i get goose bumps...  I know i'm awake, and i know there was something there i could hear it growling at me...  After i woke up i could steal feel something near i had to turn on the lights but i still got goose bumps...  I feel like i'm loosing it...  These dreams started about 7 yrs ago and now they are getting worse...  I was having a normal dream then it just turned weard...  What do i do how sleep when i feel like this...  Im freaking out i feel like i'm losing my mind...
Hello im 19 non religous and have a very open mind , I am on here due to the fact of Last nights expierience, i have read most of your posts and i have had many expierences of myself laying in bed im aware that im in a dream but i am unable to shout move etc and i have the need to wake myself up very quickly which i have always managed to to within 1-3 minutes without panicing but certainly feeling somesort of discomfort/atmosphere, yesterday was a perfect day no stress, no college, had a lovely time with my girlfriend etc settled down to bed on my own by about 1 in the morning ... A bit later bang there it was i found myself in the same situation of being awake but in a dream this time much more discomfort eveything was so real something very horrible was in the room but it was dark and i could see no image at all , in this one i found i could move ever so slowly with great force i headed for my bedroom and fell out of the bed , next my foot is grabbed and i am dragged backtowards to bed and almost under it, by this time i was ovbiosulby panicing the texture of my carpet was perfect i was so awake but unable to act , i reached for my wall and managed to bang it ever so lightly on my mums wall and then i woke up in my bed so relived that finally i was able to move propally, the wierd thing is through this dream i believed that i had awoken the times i could move , as i said ive had this wierd sleeping/dreaming issues before but they seem to be getting worse any ideas !?
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.