Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
its supposed to say headed for my bedroom DOOR :)
I found this discussion after searching endlessly. Last night for the first time ever I had a dream that felt physically real. At first it was a normal dream about the bedroom at home that my mum decorated for me (I'm in hospital at the moment waiting to have my baby).

It was the early morning (about 6am) and I was still asleep. I felt someone banging with their hands on the end of the bed as if to get my attention or wake me up. This didn't scare me at first because one of the nurses had woken me up in this way before to take my medication and at about the same time of morning.

Things got weird when I simultaneously felt scared to open my eyes and the banging wouldn't stop. I don't know whether I was toi scared to wake up or whether I was locked into my dream because I don't know whether I was awake and hallucinating or asleep. The realy bizarre thing is that I could feel my bed moving under the vibrations of the person banging on the end of it, which terrified me even more.

At some point during ghe experience I saw the form of the person as a 50 something year old woman with grey hair. They were overweight and either masvuline looking or a transvestite. Anyway for the most part I vouldn't see this woman because I was lying in bed both in the real world and in the dream (if I was dreaming).

When I was finally able to open my eyes I was terrified because there was nobody there and the banging had stopped. I was still confused about whether I was asleep and having a nightmare or conscious and hallucinating or something during the experience, because of the physical feeling of it (the bed shaking, etc).

When my eyes opened I saw a shadow of someone walking across my bed curtains on the outside, as if someone had just been on my side of the curtains and was now walking away. The shadow had the same silhouette as the middle aged woman in my dream. But between the time the 'person' was in my bed space and I opened my eyes, there is no way they could have gone that quickly. In any case my curtains woukdn't be so still if they were just walking away. I know the shadow I saw wasn't one of the nurses because it suddenly disappeared.

As expected, when a nurse did actually come into my bed space a few minutes later, I was s**t scared, I almost peed myself. Needless to say I didn't go back to sleep, even with the light on.

I've had nightmares before but i've never felt them physically before. I've tried to find out if any of the meds I'm on might have caused this but nothing. I even briefly considered whether the fact that I've been in hospital so long might be sending me a bit mad (I'm not coping well with the fact that I'm in here for months). After this I'm none the wiser. I just wanted to share my experience and I realy hope this doesn't happen again or get worse.
i have had alot of experiences where i am paralyzed in my bed and it feels like i am not dreaming but in reality aswell as having weird things happening(e.g people/aliens which had skinny legs they were walking around the end of my bed),but after years of having high state lucid dreaming i can overpower the paralysis but can only move in slow motion(when having theese experiences i can only just get words out of my mouth but in a blurred/retarded voice)a few times i would try make it outside of my house knowing i was dreaming(or was i dreaming?haha) and wanted to have fun but when ever i would reach my frontdoor to my house i would teleport back to my bed,my most recent experience of theese types of moments occurred a few months ago where i was again in my bed,but this time aliens as i think they were,started gathering around me and stabbing my organs with foot long silver rods on each side of my kidney area's,the cool thing was as the rods were comming out of my kidney area's they were healing as they were exiting my flesh!,i also could hear them communicating with each other as they were performing upon me they had almost high pitch voices and made sounds like "neyaargh,reahhgh" in a urgent sounding manner just like a surgeon would demand a scapel during a surgery.

I'm 49 years old. Since I was 9 years old I used to have very similar dreams that you all have discribed. When I told my Grandmother about these scary dreams she told me to lay on my side and the bad dreams would fall out me ear...I have NEVER had another dream like them again. To this day I always lay on my side to sleep. Grandma was right!!!
like..wen i close my eyes i feel myself falling asleep and once im bout to go to sleeep it feels like my brain or mind starts to shake and i can stop it by opening my eyes but if i keep them shut it gets more intense and then i fall into like a paralyzed sleep state. and i cant move or talk or anything.. and it feels real.. but its a dream and i have to tell myself to wake up and i wake up real scared and once i wake up i gotta stay up but if i close my eyes right away the shaking starts again and i can feel myself falling back into the sleep..can anyone help me?
http://www.sleepparalysismastery.com/?hop=maavix1

There's one way of solving your bad experience's....
whats helped me with my sleeping paralysis is being a mentally strong lucid dreamer,when i have sleep paralysis i can actually over power the paralysis and walk and talk,but only slowly walking and talking.My voice slows down/blurrs and sounds handicapped,the sad thing about having theese near exact realistic sleep paralysis episodes is when i reach my frontdoor i just teleport back to bed(LAME!!!),but atleast my lucid dreams are getting stronger almost to the realistic state of sleep paralysis.
also sleeping on your side helps,sleeping with a light weight blanket insted of a thick winter blanket,dont eat cheese before sleep as it can increase the chances of having a dream,meditation

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.