Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
hey now im new on this and am only 15 but yesterday i had a great day saw the super bowl and everything was alright till night i fell realy tired and slept quite early like 10 or so. then i ''woke up'' in my dream in what seemed to be a normal day i was eating breakfast whit my mother when suddenly out of the blue a 8 or so blond girl with a withe dress somewhat torn out appeared and behind her apeared a man with a gun pinting it towards my mom so i ran to him and stop him from shooting but at my side out of a wall a dog head appeared and tried to bite me i hit it with a rod or something but it only laugh so i panicked i felt such an overwhelming amount of fear and i couldnt do anything but another person appeared and smacked me and said it was an illusion so i kinda regained a bit of sensibility and just saw the girl grinning at me.

so i woke up and told it to my mother and she said to me that she had seen a blond girl in a withe dress like a month or so ago so it freaked me out

does anybody knows something about this
Ok... I found out I'm not the only one having these dreams. Actually, I only had almost 3 of them by now... and one of them this night. It completely freaked me out. On my first dream of this kind, I was sleeping on my back. I was tired, so around 8 p.m. I tried to take a little nap. So, I immediately started dreaming: I was flying and dancing in the air...this was normal. But then I woke up, or I dream I woke up. I was lying in my bed... and I started levitating. It felt sooo real. And then, I stoped, but I felt as a force was trying to take over my body. I felt then slowly paralysed and couldn't speak. I could only have an airy sound. I felt as if I was awake, I saw the door of my room ( that is with glass) and that the light was on in the hall. I could hear my colleagues of apartment speaking, and I tried to scream for help , but I couldn't. I am a religious person, so I immediately started praying. And after a short while, The paralyse was gone, I woke up....and I ONLY SLEPT 15 minutes. Of course, I cried after.
The dream from tonight ( I slept on my stomach): I had a nightmare and I was aware it was only a nightmare: I dreamed a drunk man tried to rape me, but he didn't succeed. Then, we were a bunch of people in a building running away from something that was outside. Then ...I felt almost awake, I was in a sleepy state... and I was analyzing my nightmare in my mind, when suddenly I felt someone getting in to my bed near me. It was as if it was real. I could hear the noise, feel the pressure...everything. I didn't turn my face to see what's going on ( during I was dreaming this, my face was turned to my left side). Actually... I had my body paralysed aga in  . I couln't move or speak. I prayed again, and the I could move and woke up. When I woke up, I found myself in the same position as before I woke up, and also found out there was plenty of space in the bed near for a person to sit. ( in the place where I felt the person sitting). I am now alone in my apartment. ( I called my friend to calm myself down)
What is going on? I don't have a sleep problem ussually and I want to know, why is this possible? they are very distressing.
I am 29 and I have had these dreams since I was 12. I feel like they start before I fall to sleep because I can still hear the sounds around me like the T.V. or the sound of my husband snoring right next to me and when I try to touch him so he can wake me I can't reach him. I always feel terrified and  like something evil and not human is above me. My arms are held and I can't call out just mumble. One dream when I was pregnant I was being dragged towards the end of the bed and my legs were spread apart I thought I heard something that sounded like a saw. The last dream I could hear my heart beating fast I felt my body being lifted up  I saw some kind of tools I knew they were going to be used on me. I wonder if anyone else was pregnant during one of these dreams?
Im 20 and I am kind of relieved to see many people out there are experiencing similiar problems to me. I have had dreams like this for months now, maybe like a year. When they started they were VERY rare but very real and terrifying, but recently, maybe like the past month, every night i experience this. I realise I am in the dream, I am in the exact same position were i am sleeping in the room i am sleeping in and i feel an evil coming over me. That is the only way I can begin to describe it. I know that I am dreaming and sometimes i feel like i am dying. I try and scream and move as violently around as I can and scream as loud as I can. When i wake up, well iu think i am awake, only to actually wake up moments later. When i actually wake I try so hard to get up but I am so tired that I almost immediately fall back into it. I am aware that I have fallen back into it and try and pinch myself to wake up. Its like my arms and hands are pinned down and I cant seem to grip. When i do finally awake in the brief moments I am awake I can feel myself falling back into it but cant help it so try and put my hand on ym body so i can pinch myself and wake up only to find as soon as im back in the dream my arms are not were i remembered them at all but are pinned down to the bed. I scream and move around hysterically but no words come out and its like i cant move. basically i am experiencing problems similiar to many of you and I am ******* terrified to go to sleep. These terrifying nightmares have left me to to be extremely paranoid in my life with me seeing shadows as the lines of dreaming and reality have become so blurred. I was wondering if you have taken drugs and u think this is the reason is it happening? I have taking drugs since I was about 15, mainly methamphetimes, however the intensity of these dreams have only come on in the past month or so and I haven't had drugs for the past 3-4 months. HELP i am literally to scared to go to sleeep
ive been having the same experiences....usuall when very very tired or after a night out drinking alcohol....but happening all to frequently when not drinking for my liking!! sleep paralysis i can understand but actually being able to feel people pysically touching you and turning into demons **** me off!!! anyhoo it is noce to see i am not alone and we really should not be scared :) opefully we will get answers some day xx
Hi im 27 and for the past 3 years i have been having dreams well it doesn't feel like a dream where evil is all around me and these people are holding me down but i don't know who they are i try my hardest to scream and move but can't it scares the help out of me and when i finally can move although my minds trying for ages to wake him but just doesn't function i wake my husband its got to the point where there is no way i will sleep without a light on plz help i can't take this anymore

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.