Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
What you wrote about your dream is so similar to mine, I'll be lay in bed about to dose of, then I'll like wake up in my dream and I know I'm in it, and I know like its a nightmare, even though nothing scarys happening, but I'll wake up in the same persition I fell asleep in, and I can feel like a presence over me, near me but feel paralyzed, then I try waking myself up.. And do, and fall back asleep again and have it again.. And I've just had it now, and googled it like an absolute geek, but its really freaking me out, like it stops me from sleeping, and feels like I'm being haunted my something, and I've just had it now, lay in bed, and smoke coming from underneath my bed, woke up and seen smoke! And like got my laptop and turned it round and the smoke went!! Its very strange! But I can relate to everything you said? Have you had any good answer back? X
Omg!!!!! I don't feel like I'm crazy now. I'm 23years old and I had my first experience with this. It was just like the girl that started this blog encounter. I'm totally freaked da hell out right now. I too turned on my side and was able to finally slap my boyfriend and I told him I was having anxiety issues and when I continued nudged him he finally woke.up and ironically he was having the same problem and was like thank u thank u for waking me up and we continued to discuss what happened with one another. I'm freaked out with it just happening to me but how bout Me and my boyfriend at.the.same time. We were both on our back. Omg I think its some spiritual cuz I doubt.we.both have the same sleeping.disorder.
yeh ive had dream like those but not to scary
i used to keep having this dream after i read a book
when i went to sleep i was on say....page 45
i dreamt that i read the book in my head while i was asleep
and i thought that i reached page 80 or somthin else
but when i wake up im on page 45 still, this used to freak me out a bit
and i always use to get this real freky dream when as soon as i close my eyes a scary face pop up, then i couldnt get to sleep
..................but you know s#!* happens
I have had quite a few dreams of where i knew i was asleep but yet awake. usually some people experience this late in the night. When i encounter these dreams i know that it is spiritual war fare. to science could be directed to chemical imbalance but i take meds and even have these type of dreams some times in the dreams i cant move but i say in my mind while in the dream if i can not speak i say Jesus help me or tell the principality to leave in Jesus name then i wake up. or i fight it with bible versus in the in between state of sleeping and being awake or knowing i am in a dream. Just one thing i don't do when i wake up is worry about it because that will just create anxiety conciously and might put fear in your thoughts.     whether it is spiritual or of chemical imbalance dont know i just know that in that state when i speak out the name of jesus the spiritual ware fare or nightmare immediately ends and i wake up. then this usually occurs when i sleep on my back as well as lots of you have reported. but i dont worry about it. i could get all religious and give a whole bunch of bible refrences to this but i will give one for whoever would like to read it.   Ephesians chapter 6 gives refrence to the un seen part of the world which scientists would dispute only because they do not have machines that can detect the unseen so they just shrug their shoulders on it when it is brought up. hope this helps you and of speaking the name of Jesus works for me when i usually encounter this type of dreaming.
Hey.I actually have experienced something  very similar.I have. Had 4. Since. I was. 13.one wenn I was. 13 and the rest 17.one of. Them was a little girl. At the. Corner. Of my bed. With. Long. Black. Hair. Red. Eyes. And. A long white. Sleeping. Gown.shewas walkin towards me nd. I. Was. Tryng to get up something. Was forcing me down I couldnt move or. Talk till I. Just. Started prayin and. I opend my. Eyes and it was gone.I honestly beliv. Its sumthing negative. That follows. Me not. That. Its sleeping disorders.the last one. I had was yesterday a girl. About 13 was next to me I couldn't see her face it was covered with her long black hair and she had A blue long sweater and she was moving towards me I. Managed to. Get. Up before. She. Got to me annd felt it still. In the room so. I. Got my rosary that is. Blessed and put it on and it was gone...I. Don't know what you beliV in.  But when.  I pray. I. Dnt feel it in the. Room.  Anymore.by.  The. Way. Sorry. My fone. Is messed up and. It puts periods and spaces by. Itself
I had dreams like these and I just woke up from one. In this dream I was in bed awake... I just woke up. I could feel things behind me crawling in bed with me. I look to me wall and see their shadows. I'm paralizyed and can't move. I can't speak nor breath at times. I feel like I'm choaking on the air but there is no air. I'm scared of these dark figures... I'm am only 15 years old. At one time while I was awake in my room listening to music I turned around and saw one of the shadow people I could feel my heart about stop. In all but one of my dreams I was in my bed. Only one tht scared me the worse is when I climbed out of bed and went into the hall where I stoped at the bathroom. I saw something in there so I came towards it. I touched and realized it was skin. That was when it jumped on me. It was like a dying corpse. It's arms where around me and I was frozen in fear once again. It's mouth was wide open as if it was trying to talk to me. I could feel him!!! I could feel how his body was on mine and it scared me so bad. I also had a dream where I awoke with a black cat on my bed. This black cat scared the living **** out of me... Something about the cat scared me. Nabe his glowing yellow eyes.... Again all these dreams started when I was Alseep yet I wasn't. I woke up siting up. And sudenly I couldn't breath. I felt the shadow man on me... He was choaking me... I couldn't see him, but as I looked to the walls I saw his figure. I'm scared... I hvent had these dreams in five months now they are coming back.

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.