Sleep Disorders Community

Hallucinating When I wake up?

Hi my name is Robert.  It is very common for me to wake up in the middle of the night, but this night was unusual. I had a normal day, went to bed at 11:00, woke up in the middle of the night and saw a Tarantula sized spider crawling in mid air, in the middle of my room, as if it were on a web   but it wasn't. i stared at it for a while with the sheets close to my face, my heart pounding very fast...........as i stared at it   it just disappeared.    Now I'm wondering if i was hallucinating. can someone please give me an answer?
I've had dreams, I swore I had woke up, and all I was experiecing was real, but realized I was dreaming, when I actually did wake up.  

These types of unpleasant experiences happen from time to time.  

Are you on any medications ?  OTC meds ?  Certain meds can give hallucigenic states.

If this only happened one time, then I wouldn't sweat it.  But if it continues, then I suggest visiting a doctor, for proper diagnoses & treatment.
You're having a hypnopompic hallucination which is associated with a sleep disorder.  I have them too.  I've seen black spiders, red spiders, clear white spiders, and spiders on spider webs.  For a sleep disorder I think it's incredibly odd that almost everyone sees spiders.  
No i dont really take any medicine....well does Advil or ibuprofen count?  its actually happened more then once.
i refer you to a phenomenon called kundalini shakti.... it is the awakening of an energy within the body that is connected to the divine or enlightenment and is manifests in many ways.  one of these ways is having waking visions of a spider hovering at eye level and then moving away or quickly disappearing.  it is as though one were in a state between sleep and awake.  ancient traditions throughout the world (both eastern and western native peoples) speak of the spider as an esoteric symbol or a manifestation of the divine when experienced in dream or visions.  there is also the jungian philosophy of the collective unconscious (the spiritual forms which are  the pre-existent prototypes of the things of the material world.)
This is incredibly fascinating.  I'm going to do some research on this.  I was beginning to wonder if the spiders had something to do with the Hopi Indian legend of how the world is covered in a web and something to do with the year 2012.  This is about all I know but I'm planning to do a little research on the topic.  Thank you for your information.
You are not alone Robert1219, and your not being connected to a spirit or divinity. And it is not "As though your are in  a state between sleep and awake" you ARE in a state between sleep and awake.  Our brains play association games with our senses (image in this case) and many times (if its isolated) what your seeing is an extra dark spot in the room, a fan pull and our brains cant logically differentiate so since a spider is an image we are familiar with it plugs it into that void.. Based off what I have read on this site and my own personal experience night terrors and hallucinations are more common than you think and can be treated with a simple anti anxiety rx, or there may be another underlying issue that has not been pin pointed.  
I have had similar experiences, twice in the last month and quite a few times before. I go to sleep fine, and after a few hours, I sit bolt upright in bed, screaming for someone to get the "spider" away from me. The most recent one, I was screaming that it was on my bedside table, and the time before I was brushing it off my back shouting "get it off me!!" I am actually conscious I am doing this, but it takes me a good while to realise that there is nothing there and I must have been imagining it. What is this all about? It can't be very good waking up in the night having these screaming fits!! :-)
I also have seen the spiders since I was about 16 years old... I wake up looking at the ceiling and I can see a large tarantula that seems to be hanging from a web lowering towards me. I know in my head that this couldn't be possible but it is very hard to convince my eyes what they are seeing is not real. I scream and do a roll out of the bed to flip on the light and of course there is nothing there. For many years I had hundreds of episodes with the spiders at night. When I was 20 I had my first experiences with seeing "shadow people". They would stand in doorways walking slowly towards me. Once I saw a floating head with two individual hands clenching on the sides of a port a crib that help my 1 year old daughter was sleeping in. It was looking at my child and when I sat up it looked directly at me. Once I started screaming it faded. I do not believe in ghosts but I know I do see things and often wonder if there is some kind of disorder I am experiencing. I see small children sitting at the end of my bed. I have mistaken them for my own child only to realize later it was one of these episodes. I see figures walking close to me until I am in a complete panic and then they disappear. The two most common are the people and spiders I have seen but on one occasion I saw a squirrel sitting in my room beside my bed. I reached out to touch it and it disappeared. I have also seen something one time that I would describe as a demon walking towards me and my newborn child who had fallen asleep with me on my couch. I kept closing my eyes and reopening them knowing I was probably seeing things and not wanting to scream and scare my baby to death. But it just kept walking closer and closer on the balls of it's feet like an animal. It was extremely large about 8 feet tall and showed no signs of vanishing, as the others usually would after a mere 10 seconds or so.  Not knowing what to do after it was only a few feet away I yelled out "God help me!" And it vanished. I have never seen that vision again and it have been 8 years. I still see the people and spiders on a daily basis though. I would really like to know what is wrong with me. I have had cat scans or else I would almost think it was a brain tumor. I just can't stand to wake up one more night with my heart racing and whole body in tremors. It's almost like I am in a panic before I even see the images. Like I already know they are there before I open my eyes. IT IS TERRIFYING!
i've had this happen numerous times. i woke up once to a green spider the width of my bed was on my bed coming towards me. i threw the blanket off and slept on the couch. i believed it was real even when i woke up in the morning.  i looked under the bed and everything.  i also had a really creepy hallucination when my brother was in iraq.  i heard someone behind me and they bent over me and whispered arabic or something in my ear and it was my brothers voice.   it was really weird and i turned around and no one was there. these things always happen in the middle of the night and i wake up and see them
I have had similar experiences but hear and see spirtiaul experiences; angels and evil figures, also have heard voices ..could this be a sleep disorder or hallucinating?  I have read articles regarding the sleep disorder and normally people see bugs and spiders so I am not certan about my experiences.  Anyone else had these spiritual experiences upon waking?
Thank goodness I am not alone...What is it with the spiders?? I have seen them too and one night saw a big black one hanging from the ceiling by it's rather thick web..I can clearly remember racing into the lounge room and not being able to go back to my bed..The experience left me badly shaken..I knew I had hallucinated too which made me even more scared..I spoke to my doctor about it and he told me about hypnopompic
hallucinations...I can sympathize with anyone who has had to endure this most unpleasant experience.
I suffer from what is called "Night terrors". You wake up but your mind is still dreaming in an awake state. I have seen many many things such as ghosts, people walking around, things flying at me, spider webs closing down on me etc just like you and trust me these are night terrors and they can be terrifying. I used to wake my hubby all the time to go and check the room where the man walked into etc...

Now..I always sleep with a toilet light on so i can clearly see everything so i dont confuse things, although it can still happen. It tends to happen more with lack of sleep or sleep deprivation from uni assignments etc.
This happens all the time. I see alot of things but mostly spiders. Usually, several of them in a huge web that goes across the room. i used to freak out but now i know they aren't there so i wait about 15 sec and they disappear. I have rolled out the bed onto the floor from a spider speeding toward my face from the ceiling. i have seen hundreds of spiders in the bed, on the ceilings, on the walls, in webs, etc. I hope nothing serious is wrong because it has turned into a huge joke in my house. "let's see what she see's tonight". it's not scary and is usually very funny. it happens once or twice a month. im glad to know i'm not alone.
I have experienced not only spiders but wolfs...dark figures...cats, not only people but people that communicate with me back and forth, white orbs, unexplained...objects shooting across the room. i"m 19 years of age now and these have been a regular occurrence throughout the years.  Blinking or waiting until they vanish wont work for me.  i used to just go back 2 sleep, scared at what was in my room.  Waking up at night now i actually walk up and investigate if its real or not...and as soon as i"m about 2 touch what i see it vanishes.  Has anyone actually investigated or tried to touch what they see?  msg back please
I have this too... I see shadows, not necessaraly people, but definitely dark things hanging over me when i wake up during the night. I have never been able to scream or shout due to shear panick/fright. Usually i go back to sleep and forget about but recently, i saw what can only be described as an angel standing by the side of my bed which really frightend me. i spoke to it but it disappeared.
I also find myself sleepwalking, yet im not fully asleep because im completely aware of what im doing. It's really odd, i always seem to be 'looking' for something but can never think what im looking for. Im 18 years old and these hallucinations are getting more frequent. They used to occur 3 or 4 times a year, but in the past 6 months they have been 2/3 times a week. It's getting quite scary and annoying now!!!
It's not a spider, it's a black ball-shaped probe with spike-like objects protruding from it. The object usually hovers away and disappears through the wall or ceiling. I'm more convinced that this object is alien or extra dimensional in origin. I've woke up, raised up with my elbows, and turned to the person lying next to me to explain what I'm witnessing.
I am also seeing other things besides spiders.  I have seen people standing at my feet, sitting next to me in my bed, laying next to me in my bad, I have heared someone whisper my name in my ear, I also have litteraly felt someone touching me and walk to the corner of my room and disapper.  I have also woke up on a few occassions where my whole entire room will be covered in spider webs.  I also woke up in a completly dark room and saw a spider, when I got up and turned the lights on, there was a spider in my room, and not in the place that I saw it at first.  So I am also wondering if it is a spiritual thing or something to do with my brain?
I don't see spiders. I see something really strange and it's been going on for years. When I wake . I am very aware of everything going on and have no doubt I'm not dreaming. I have proved that to my boyfriend who thought I might be dreaming or sleep walking. I'm not and I have woken him to ask him if he see's this as it's happening. These objects look like high tech camera monitor -spying and observing. For what reason I have no idea. As I'm noone of any special interest. I often wondered if this is from another dimension or time in space ? They appear to be robotic in that sometimes they have a small flashing light like that of surveillance objects. The most recent one looked like a wavy wire -\--/--\/-\-/-\-/-\-   with moving wires steming off it..much like an antenna, but the lines were wavy not straight like that of what I typed as the keyboard is limited. This is very odd to say the least and until now I have never made mention of it, figuring people will say I'm crazy or making it up.
I've woken my boyfriend & asked him if he can see them & he can't. which has me wondering why I see them?   Often hovering over me or just moving near to the ceiling in my room anywhere from 2- 10 minutes and then they vanish.  My boyfriend is puzzled by this because clearly I'm awake. Sometimes I sit up & wait for them to disappear as it can be frightening. Other time's I've whispered to him to open his eyes hoping he will see them before they go. I'm not dreaming and at times when I was brave enough I  tried  to touch them...but my hand goes right through them like that of a ghost. Yet they are NOT transparent nor faded. They move and hover. Ten years ago they were larger, much larger.. now they seem to be like our technology smaller & slimmer. How strange is this? It's really got me thinking there are some high tech aliens spying on us. Does anyone else see this?
This has happened to me three times, i close my eyes for a second and when i open them i see a giant tarantula above me, one time i was sleeping next to my sister and it was right above her, but then it disappeared when i blinked my eyes
Everyone seems to see spiders..ive had like a big lizard thing and snakes on my bed..one night i seen a black shape of a man on the end of my bed..When it happens i sit up and freeze for a second and then slowly quietly get out of my bed and step over what i see and quickly turn on the light..Vile when this happens at nights :(
All of the comments I've read here regarding these hypnopompic hallucinations share something that I don't experience during them, which is fear, or any reaction at all. Just last night, I awoke from sleep because of a text message I received, and as I opened my eyes, there appeared to be a 1 foot-wide spider dangling above me. I had absolutely no negative thoughts or emotions while staring at it. Shortly after, I watched the image dissipate into nothing.
Here's one fresh piece of information:
http://lightworkers.org/channeling/118117/multidimensional-mastery
I have the same with spiders and i know they aren't real but still i have to run turn the light on and check then spend all night with the light left on. Weirdley i have also seen the black shere with spikes 3 times no idea what it is or means.
The first time I hallucinated from waking up, I saw a lizard crawling under my bed.  I believed more than anything that the thing was under my bed, and I built up the courage to check under my bed.  I was 19 years old.  The second time, I was with my girlfriend in college.  I thought I saw a spider hovering above her face and I actually smacked her right in the face.  She jolted awake but thought it was more funny than anything else.  I'm 23 years old and I just had my third hallucination.  It was what Robert1219 described as a tarantula sized spider hovering on a spindle of web.  I got online and this is the website I came across.  I don't believe I have a sleeping disorder.  But the hallucinations definitely jolt me awake from a tired stupor.  Have there been an studies done on this?
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.