Sleep Disorders Community

Hypersomnia

I have been diagnosed with "Idiopathic hypersomnia" which means I can sleep round the clock.  I'm always fatigued and sleepy (unless medicated with a prescribed amphetamine).  Can my sleepiness actually be the result of either my longterm use (15+ years) of Neurontin (for epilepsy) or longterm use (10 years) of Prozac? There are problems associated with going off either of these meds, but it is very difficult to get through life feeling chronically sleepy and drugged.  
Both Prozac and Neurontin cause insomnia rather than increased sleepiness. It can be due to not getting enough sleep, drug, alcohol, or cigarette use, lack of physical activity, obesity, the use of certain medication, depression, restless legs syndrome, sleep apnea, or narcolepsy.
You need to get it evaluated from a sleep specialist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

He said he had been diagnosed.... not sure you really read or comprehended his question!
Sorry she said...
You've responded to a "dead" post from two years ago. I encourage you to click the green "Post a Question" button on the top of the page if you have any questions about sleep disorders. Thank you for your time.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.