Please read all of what I write!, I have been reading on this problem for some time now and I know the common answers, I am trying to find someone else who may have had my problem before and found a way to overcome it, so here goes!
I cannot wake up! I set a LOUD alarm clock for 2 different times, 3 minutes apart, just to make sure that if I don't wake up from the first or 2nd alarm, they will keep buzzing at alternative times. I Set my cell phones alarms (Yes, all 5 of them!) 2 minutes apart, so I have continuous ringing for 10+ minutes, for an entire hour before they stop going off, yet none of these help me wake up. I sleep right through all the noise as if nothing was going on.
Just so you have this information to consider, here are some facts:
1) I do have sleep apnea and I do not use a cpap. I have never been diagnosed, but a nurse who saw me sleeping in the hospital for a few nights in a row said it is probably the worst sleep apnea she has seen in a long time. I snore so loud that people around me cannot sleep. Literally.
2) My work is 15 hours a day as well as 1 1/2 hours of drive time. So, considering I have to get up an hour before I have to leave for work and that I do not go to bed the minute I get home, I am lucky if most nights I get 5 hours of sleep, maybe 5 1/2. There is NO way to change this. I have to keep these hours. I cannot work 15 hours, drive home 40 minutes and go directly to bed, I need to unwind at least an hour.
3) If I sleep during the day and work the night shift I can wake up almost without fail when I need to. It is like I cannot sleep at night, but sleep great in the day. -- this is not what I need though as I'm not on night shift.
So, here is what I have read up on so far.
* I am lacking the proper amount of sleep I should be getting. - Got that, can't help it. Need my job.
* I can train myself to wake up at a specific time - No, I can't. I have tried this for months on end and it has never worked.
* My sleep apnea wakes me up over and over and so my body is used to going right back to sleep when it is woken up. - Ok, great, how do I fix that????
Please, someone who may have been in the same situation as me, tell me anything I can do. I cannot keep calling in late to work because I didn't wake up. I sometimes sleep 45 minutes past the alarm, sometimes HOURS. I am going to get fired sooner or later and I simply can't allow that to happen.