Electrical activity of seizures/epilepsy, muscle spasms, etc. can be caused by a magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is essential for proper muscle and nerve function.
Magnesium has helped many conditions such as: epilepsy, restless leg syndrome, twitches, tics, aches, pains, tingling, etc.
"Epilepsy is marked by abnormally low magnesium levels in the blood, spinal fluid and brain, causing hyperexcitability in regions of the brain. There are many reported causes of epilepsy greatly improving or disappearing with magnesium supplementation. In a trial with 30 epileptics 450 mg of magnesium supplied daily successfully controlled seizures. Another study found that the lower the magnesium blood levels the more severe was the epilepsy. In most cases magnesium works best in combination with vitamin B6 and zinc. In sufficient concentrations, magnesium inhibits convulsions by limiting or slowing the spread of the electric discharge from an isolated group of brain cells to the rest of the brain. Animal studies show that even the initial burst of firing nerve cells that starts an epileptic attack can be suppressed with magnesium."
MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE for Health & Rejuvenation by Walter Last
"Magnesium also helps regulate nerve cell function. It must be present in adequate amounts in the synaptic gap between nerve cells to control the rate of neuron firing. (3) When synaptic magnesium levels are too low, nerves fire too easily from even minor stimuli. For example, noises will sound excessively loud, lights will seem too bright, emotional reactions will be exaggerated, and the brain will be too stimulated to sleep. In extreme magnesium-synaptic deficiency, epilepsy--a sort of whole-brain shotgun-blast excessive neuronal firing--may result."
The Underappreciated Mineral of Life Part I
By James South M.A.
"Magnesium deficiency symptoms involving the peripheral nervous system include numbness, tingling, and other abnormal sensations, such as zips, zaps and vibratory sensations."
The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
Michael Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M.
FANTASTIC information below:
"Magnesium: The Stress Reliever" by Leo Galland M.D., F.A.C.N. (online article)
"The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition" by Michael Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M (online article)
Some of the safer and more effective forms of magnesium include: Taurate, Glycinate, and Citrate (latter can be laxitative, so take with food).
There is also an online article called: "How to Have a Magnesium (Mg) Rich Diet"
Kelp is the richest source of Magnesium that I've seen thus far.
As for testing, the typical blood test for magnesium isn't very effective. Only 1% of the body's magnesium is in the blood, while the other 99% is in the tissues. And the body makes sure to keep the blood levels maintained, even at the expense of pulling out the stores of magnesium. The typical magnesium test is actually an Intensive Therapy Unit test, in a small, tight range, meant to keep you alive. That is according to Dr. MyHill.
The RBC magnesium test is said to be better, but it can still miss deficiencies. The best are the loading or tolerance test, but this can be hard to get.
Basically, magnesium deficiency is very common these days, and the deficiency symptoms are very obvious when researched. When a good formula of magnesium is taken, the effects are definitely noticed in deficient people.