Not inhaling while asleep

Sometimes i wake up gasping for air. Its like my body forgets too inhale. its happened before but i thought it was my Rott maybe laying acrossed my neck or something so i paid no mind. It has happened like twice this week and both times my dog hasnt been laying with me........what might this be?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Since sleep apnea happens while we are asleep, it's hard to know what's happening then without an observer. Not feeling refreshed even after sleeping is a common clue, but the body generally compensates quite well. Or we just get used to feeling as we do and don't realize we're not feeling the best we could.  

A sleep study is the best way to identify any sleep disorders, but depending on your doctor, you may have trouble getting them to see a need since you don't fit the physical stereotype. By the way, that stereotype is one of the main reasons fit people with OSA often go undiagnosed until health issues develop. Glad you're at least in tune and watching for any other possible symptoms.

Helpful - 0
i appreciat the responses.
im fit. i dont drink. i dont smoke. i dont know if i snore, but ill have that checked. not inhaling is the only symptom ive noticed, but ill look for the other symptoms durring the next few night. once again, i greatly appreciate the responces.
Helpful - 0
Hi Shyne86, you may probably be suffering from sleep apnea syndrome, which is
caused by upper airway blockage, usually when soft tissue at back of throat collapses during sleep resulting in no breathing during sleep for anywhere from 10 seconds to more than a minute and happens hundreds of times over a single night. Habitual snoring and gasping for breath during night is a usually earliest sign with excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue, feeling unrefreshed, night sweats, morning dry mouth or sore throat and headaches. There may be a family history. Overweight, large neck circumference, structurally abnormal airway, smoking, alcohol and sleeping pills can be some causes. Losing weight is one of the best things to do, avoid alcohol, smoking and sleeping on to your back. You need to consult a sleep specialist for sleep study assessment. Take care.
Helpful - 0
Well, none of these are absolutes, just that some people with apnea may mention the following:
Tired even after adequate sleep
Daytime sleepiness
Morning headaches
Snoring
Dreams related to smothering or choking
Waking up with heart beating hard
Waking up feeling short of breath
Helpful - 0
what other info should i state? theres not much more to it than that. What all would you want too know?
Helpful - 0
Not a lot of information to go on, but anytime "waking up gasping for air" is said, I think sleep apnea. If you said that to your doctor, they'd likely send you for a sleep study.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.