Periodic Limb Movement Disorder

Hello, Im from london and I wanted to explain my father's unknown and undiagnosed condition which, after searching over the internet, seems to relate to this condition called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. I want to know if you will agree with my foundings.

These are the the symptoms he is experiencing at the moment;

-  Uncontrollable shaking in both of his legs which happens only when he is in bed trying to sleep
-  He has been having these symptoms for over 8-9 months.
-  He is now having the same sudden shaking's in his arms and its started for over a month now with the legs.
-  Once he manages to go sleep for a while, he starts to scream like a person with extreme pains but he never remembers these after waking up and he says that he has pain in his lower back and legs.
-  He works in a job (food industry) which requires a lot of physical activity such as standing for more than 3-4 hours without sitting, running and carrying stuff around.
-  He's experiencing a lot of stress with his colleagues in terms of relationship and has financial problems.
-  He had an MRI brain scan and results were normal and then had another one for his whole body. The results of that scan is still awaiting.
-  He is waiting to go into this place where he'll sleep there for a day and they will watch him while asleep. Sorry, i cant remember the labs name but i think it was to do with telemetry. The appointment has been booked for 5-6 months later as there is a long queuing going on.
-  He has been prescribed with clonazepam this january but immediatly stopped taking them after a week. This has helped to stop him shaking but made him feel lifeless as he couldnt move any part of his body and slept in one position all the time. My mum had to turn him over or lift his arms up for him. Doctor gave this medication after listening to his concerns and did not examine him in anyway.
- Family medical history: His mother has problems with her knee and urges to get a new knee replacement.
- I have checked RLS and its symptoms and it seems to similar to PLMD in some ways, so i've decided to select this topic for my concern.

Im waiting an answer impatiently. Thank you very much.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
RLS is generally diagnosed based on symptoms, PLMD by a sleep study, for which your father is scheduled. Clonazepam is sometimes prescribed, but he has already experienced the side effects, unless a lower dose would help his legs without such strong side effects.

There are some over-the-counter meds that claim to help calm the legs and help sleep. They usually contain magnesium and some other supplements. Another thing he could do while waiting for the sleep study and results is ask his doctor to order a Ferritin level, a blood test to check storage iron. My doctor wants my Ferritin to stay above 60 or even higher. Also, it wouldn't hurt for them to check his kidney finction.

If your father indeed has a severe case of RLS and/or PLMD, it truly is a miserable malady. RLS usually does not require a sleep study to treat, as you know since he was already given a med for it. Maybe the same doctor would try one of the dopamine agonists for it. Just be very wise in their use. He should start off low and increase gradually, staying at a dose long enough to give it time to work. He does not want to use any more than necessary due to possible side effects, which the family should be aware of and observant for. If they give him these meds, he should NEVER stop them abruptly. Wean off at a recommended rate.

Hope your father gets some relief soon.
Helpful - 0
I kept a note of what you have written and will pass it on to my father.

Thank you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.