Thyroid or Testosterone issue??

I already posted this as "Needing a diagnosis" in Men's Health. It's probably better in Undiagnosed Sx.

Needing a diagnosis
by captainleads, 29 minutes ago
I'm a 25 year-old +male with symptoms of insomnia irritability with frequent alternating symptoms of “hot and cold” sweating and freezing. I have a hot temper but it's usually related to feeling lousy. I've had this for 3 or 4 years possibly longer!

Is this more likely a thyroid problem or over-production of testosterone, or something else?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Problems related to sleeping disorders or metabolic disorders can produce symptoms of sleep problems, sweating and hot or cold feeling. Sleeping disorders like obstructive sleep apnea can produce inadequate sleep, trouble breathing, sweating and headaches. In turn lack of sleep can increase irritability. Metabolic disorders like diabetes and hypothyroidism can also cause these symptoms. So for proper evaluation you will need to consult your primary care physician who will examine you and may ask for some blood tests and a sleep study to initiate appropriate therapy. He may then refer you to a sleep specialist if needed.

Hope This Helped.
Helpful - 0
thanks for query.

You need to under go some routine testing for thyroid and your blood counts. This can happen in presence of over active thyroid. Another likely possibility is from anxiety and stress at work place . After the test one can have more idea. Please try to avoid stress, take light diet, do some regular exercise and avoid tobacco in any form which may aggravate your symptoms.

Wishing you good health.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the input. I've got a 2nd dr's appointment pending. I've learned about something that is new to me. The first appointment was with a physician's assistant (not a doctor but qualified to write prescriptions for limited drugs).

As sort of a mental checklist of things to consider and/or rule out she mentioned the vagus nerve. I looked for vagus/vagal nerve conditions and found "vasovagal syncope". At least some of the symptoms fit but I have never fainted. Some dizziness but never passed out.

Guess I talk to the doctor about that. Time will tell. Funny thing, I haven't felt any symptoms for several days (well, maybe mildly once?).

Thanks for responding,

captainleads
Helpful - 0
Hi.
You sound more informed that the nurse practitioner I saw last week. She set me up to see the primary care doctor (HMO lingo). I did get an earful, though. What stuck was a vagus nerve weakness or reaction. Online research, including this MedHelp site lead me to a condition called "VassoVagal Syncope". I mentioned this on another post. But I have only some of the symptoms.

Much emphasis was about high levels of stress...I got laid off from a job some time ago. Luckily, I was able to get "extended??" on my parent's plan. But that's unrelated. Other than I'm not under much stress at the moment. Just trying to recoup some energy.

A sleep study has been suggested. Guess my weight makes me prone to sleep apnea like you said. I appreciate you understanding and knowledge. I hate it when I have no clue about things. It's hard to even express yourself (for me, at least) because the vocabulary is lacking. That is why your comments felt so good.

On the bright side, I've taken some action and have lost only a copay for my efforts. We'll see what happens.

captainleads
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the thoughtful responses, guys!
I didn't really expect such prompt, courteous input. Guess I underestimated what goes on here. I'm on the road to resolution on this weird ailment whatever it's name.

I'll check in periodically. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to help someone else.

Later,
cap
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.