Wake up every hour - why??

I'm having an issue with very light sleeping, i take two Zopiclone (7mg in total) each night which resolves insomnia/not being able to fall asleep but find that after only two or three hours i wake up again. Usually if i go to the bathroom/get up and then lay back down i can nod straight back off but then, lo, an hour later i'm awake again. This process repeats throughout the night so that by the time i 'wake' and have to get up i feel shattered.

I'm averaging 4-5 small /hour long sleep sessions each night between 12pm and 9am. I get around 7hours sleep but wake up feeling wrecked because none of it is continous sleep. At first i assumed it was just noise disturbance disrupting me, however after documenting the pattern i realised that my waking is automatic and has very little to do with my surroundings/outside noise. Also it should be noted that i am having REM sleep because i have very vivid dreams and sometimes nightmares - however once again these don't seem to be the reason i am waking up.

I have tried to reduce my caffeine intake in the afternoon/not drink it in the evening but this hasn't helped either.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions why i might wake so frequently?

Have you ever looked into Sleep Apnea being a cause. My situation is frighteningly like yours. Actually it is a relief to hear someone else talk about it because nobody ever seems to understand how f'ed up it is. Sometimes I can grab an actual 3 hours straight, but that is it. I got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, have an advanced version of the machine (a v-pap not a c-pap), and was told my case was especially difficult to treat. Hence the apnea is treated but the sleep is no better. BUT don't worry about my outcome, I know a bunch of people who have been treated for Apnea successfully.
If any of this doesn't make sense, write me... we'll talk

Thanks for the advice - i have looked into Apnea based on what you said however i don't think that my symptoms marry the disorder. You are right though, messed up/fragmented sleep is much worse than people give credit for. Sorry to read you have an untreatable form of Apnea, i think my problem is plain old Insomnia and according to my new research/the apnea info.... it could be because i use sleeping pills. (which may cause a form of apnea after prolonged use)
Thanks for the tip.
All the best.

(PS - if you do wish to PM to discuss this further then dont hesitate, although having read the symptoms and causes i'm almost 99% sure it isn't apnea that i suffer from - friendly ear here all the same if u wish to talk)
Please look at my post at the bottom.  I am going crazy
My symptoms are exactly the same.I don't have sleep apnea, I just don't sleep.Wake up every 1 to 2 hours.This goes on all night.I get 3 hour straight if I take ambien.Did you find out what your problem was.Need help.
Harley
I'm having the same problem.
No matter how tired I am and how easily I fall asleep, I just cannot make it through the night without waking up every hour or so. I all but stopped drinking caffeine about 3 weeks ago.
I've had this problem before. It happens when I stop smoking pot and cigs. (I'm pretty sure it's more related to the pot, but thought I should also mention the cigs.) When I'm on "smoke mode," I do not experience the vivid dreams that I've been having for the past couple of weeks, but I do sleep right through the night.
I've been taking melatonin for a couple of months, and am considering upping the dosage.
Please post any results or discoveries and I will do the same. If nothing else, know that you're not alone. I know the frustration you are feeling!
i thought i was alone its nuts waking up every hour never feeling rested. Im going to see a doctor.
This is another vote for sleep apnea. Until you find yourself getting the rest you need, you are going to become even more anxious about sleeping. I think that getting yourself checked for sleep apnea is one of the best ways (though it will oftentimes take a night in the hospital) but it would help you rule out issues altogether.
..I can't tell you guys how relieved I am knowing I'm not alone in this..My doctor has me on 3 sleeping pills and I pop melatonin and camomile tea...I wake up like clockwork...every 1-2 hours...I take a few benzodiazapines (family of xanax, ativan, klonopin, restoril, valium..) and after complaining to a handful of doctors over the years, one of them told me that those benzos have been known to interrupt stages 4 - 5 of sleep. I dream like crazy! ***I've come to expect that furrow in my doctor's brow as I tell her 'that med's not working.". Of course it's not ever a good sign when your physician looks hella confused, then stairs at your chart..."huh.."
Same here and I do NOT have apnea.
I have the same problem since i got pregnant my second child.anyone has solved the problem?really miss my straight sleep
I have the same thing! No matter if I exercise or not, drink AM coffee or not, am hurting or not, I sleep for 2 hours, then pee, then sleep for another 2 hours. After that I am up every 45 minutes or so till I drag myself out of bed at 8 am.  I get 7 hours of sleep, but it is fragmented so I never feel rested and cant function at my computer. Head feels heavy and my eyes look like I have not slept in weeks. I have all the natural stuff. Solus, gaba, 5 htp, theanine, phosaphatalsyren, none of it helps any more.  I tried Trazadone and it almost killed me. Halcion does nothing. Ambien makes me sleep for 2.5 hours, then up for hours after that.  Anyone have an answer?  I have tried going out into the sun and staying off the computer. I have a screen that blocks the blue light too.
Same disturbed sleep cycles here, no apnea. I'm also over on blaming coffee, computer, sun, ..., tried natural stuff also, none of them helped. I was on a normal benzo for 4 years (I've also made to successfully put it down for a few months). Doctor asked me to move to xanax XR, because the normal dose didn't make me fall asleep. Since then, I wake up every hour, and have problems fall asleep again. This is hell of a new issue I have to deal with. I had only fall asleep problems, now I have stay asleep problems also. I seriously think drugs not always working the way the doctors think.
Its good to read that I'm not the only one.
Maybe my life isn't satisfying to stay asleep? How is yours? How are you now Molly?
OMG I have Sleep Apnea and I wake up every 1.5-2 hours it is beginning to drive me crazy HELP!!
Last night it was: Go to sleep 10pm, wake up 11pm, wake up 12am, wake up 2am, wake up 4am.. wake up 7am (get up). I woke up much more than that at least 5 times I can kinf of remember, probably more I dont. I actually have dreams about noises and wake up and it's my breathing/snoring. Always have a dry mouth too... it's 2pm now and I'm falling asleep at my desk. I dont take sleeping pills I dont have trouble falling asleep, I think its more the snoring / waking myself up :-(  What's the best thing I can do to get a good nights sleep?
Yes, cut out all the caffeine and alcohol. It will definitely help.
Take healthy diet and do exercise daily it will improve your sleep quality and good for your health also. You can take better meds like Ambien with you doctors advice if needed.
HowToBuyAmbien
For some people it could be hormone related, thyroid, testosterone/oestrogen or adrenal glands are good place to start looking as alternatives to sleep apnea. I've noticed a pattern linked to my monthly cycle and have had different treatments related to thyroid and testosterone level problems. I too, wake up every hour or two, even with 7mg Zopiclone and half the month with severe night sweats. I realize this might not apply to everyone here but hopefully it can help some looking for other answers. Good night and stay sane folks :)
Does anyone know of a treatment?
Its nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. No matter how tired I am, what I eat, drink or do, no matter what Rxs I take or how hard I work, I can't seem to sleep through the night. I wake up every hour. Usually I can smoke a cigarette and take a leak then go back to sleep for an hour but sometimes I can't fall back asleep at all. Its definitely not sleep apnea. As nice as it is to know I'm not alone, it would be nicer to find a treatment. My wife thought I was nuts until I found I'm not the only one.
I also have the same thing, but I have a question for you all - are any of you low on vitamin B12? One of the symptoms is sleep disorder. My level is quite low (pernicious anemia low) and I was wondering if it's related.
I have a clogged nostril that caused the exact symptoms..Sometimes you accidentally close the functional nostril while pressing your head on the pillow, leaving yourself completely out of air. Medicines wont help you out here, so try to engineer your sleeping posture to prevent this..and try not to sleep on your back
Same Issue:   Mine started 2 1/2 weeks ago.   It first started with waking up at 3 am, then twice, and has progressively gotten worse to nearly ever hour now.  I have taken temaezpan twice but does nothing.  Unisom is also ineffective.  I also wake up with heart beating fast and somewhat warm.   Sometimes I remember waking up during a dream, good or bad.  It feels like my body is purposely waking me for some reason.  I don't think it's sleep apnea because my girlfriend says I make no noises in bed, other than normal breathing.   I changed 3 things weeks before the sleeping issue started...I stopped taking many Life Extension Foundation supplements, changed my diet to low carb and cut out all sweets, sugars, fried foods.  I eat a much healthier diet.   The other thing that changed was less exercise due to plantar fasciitis in the left foot.   I see a sleep doctor next week.
Did you take an SSRI like Prozac or other antidepressant in the past? This can sometimes be a symptom of a protracted antidepressant withdrawal that can go on for quite a while after you stopped the drug, even if you have no other noticeable symptoms. I wonder how many people who responded developed this problem within a few months of quitting an antidepressant? I really hope it has resolved for you.

Other possibilities that I know of are low estrogen/progesterone, and hyperthyroidism. I really hope you have since gotten better!
Also wanted to add--if anyone reads this who is currently on an any type of psychiatric medication, and you are wanting to stop--please, please, do NOT stop your drug cold turkey--this is more dangerous than you even know, and often what causes prolonged withdrawals (along with too-fast tapers). I would plead with you to taper extremely slowly--usually much more slowly than even your doctor will recommend--and only under a doctor's supervision.
Same thing here. Only with one more terrible addition that makes it true hell. I won't go into detail about that here as you don't have that. I was just wondering. Could you try running before sleep? Like 30min - 1h run? I have many many methods I use that help.