Sleep Disorders Community

What caused your REM sleep behavior disorder?

The exact cause ofÊREM sleep behavior disorderÊ(RBD) is unknown, although the disorder may occur in association with various degenerative neurological conditionsÊsuch as Parkinson disease, multisystem atrophy, diffuse Lewy body dementia,Êand Shy-Drager syndrome. In  a majority of persons the cause is unknown, and in the other half, the cause is associated with alcohol or sedative-hypnotic withdrawal, tricyclic antidepressant (such as imipramine), or serotonin reuptake inhibitor use (such as fluoxetine,Êsertraline, orÊparoxetine)Êor other types of antidepressants (mirtazapine). RBD often precedes the development ofÊthese neurodegenerative diseases by several years. In one study, 38% of patients diagnosed withÊRBDÊsubsequently developed Parkinson disease within an average time of 12-13 years from the onset ofÊRBDÊsymptoms. The prevalence of RBD is increased in persons with Parkinson disease and in multisystem atrophy where it is observed in 69% of these patients. The relationship betweenÊRBDÊand Parkinson disease is complex; however, not all persons with RBD develop Parkinson disease.
I had a weird experience last night. I was in rem approaching waking I was conscience, because I felt my eyes flittering very fast and I saw thousands of pictures flying by before me in about a second. I could identify them though they were going so fast. I forced myself to completely wake up by opening my eyes. It was weird then while my eyes were open I started to dream again and I forced myself to sit up in bed for a minute to thinking about what just happened. It was weird seeing and remembering the function of rem sleep. I have never had this experience before.
My RBD is unknown thus far.  In terms of treatment I took up to 3mg of Clonazepam (Klonopin) for several years.  It seemed to help somewhat with kicking, thrashing, punching and snoring but I still have unsafe vivid dreams which could result in injury to me or my wife.  This high dosage of Klonopin also seems to have caused cognitive dis-function and short term memory loss; much to the surprise of my sleep M.D.  I am now off Klonopin and feel much better with short term memory improved.  My sleep M.D. also suggested Melatonin.  I have taken up to 6mg of melatonin and vivid dreams is a potential side effect of melatonin which I have experienced so I will be eliminating that as well.  Where to turn - who knows?
i have rem sleep behavior during the night i have dreams that are actual real with me in the dreams frighting with a other person eighter me or him to be kill in the event of me awakingtne dreams will not be complete.
My REM Sleep Behavior Disorder was brought on by sleep deprivation, due to a graveyard work shift.
I am male, almost 70, and have had REM Sleep Behavior Disorder for almost 20 years. It gradually grew worse until diagnosed about 8-10 years ago. Clonazapam (1 mg) is highly effective although it only partially prevents verbal yelling, telling jokes/laughing, giving medical lectures, etc in my sleep. If I start moving, such as leaving the bed, a bed partner calling my name will usually wake me.  Most of the violent verbal outbursts are associated with dreams that I attempt to act out; I sometimes remember the dreams, which are often associated with objects in the room being seen as figures in the dreams. Recently, I had a horribly frightening episode where in my sleep I dreamed I was being attacked in my room by thieves.  I got out of bed, opened the drawer on the night stand, retrieved my pistol case,unzipped the case, and attempted to load the pistol so I could shoot the dreamed intruders. I was unable to fit the clip into the pistol because I was holding the clip upside down. That inability awoke me, holding the clip in one hand and the pistol in the other, standing by my bed. I was scared that I came that close to loading the pistol in my sleep. I am now considering getting an alarm that will awake me if I leave my bed. Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks
I have suffered from REM sleep deprivation for 8 years.  Also, I have no immune system, and currently I have a kidney that is leaking protein.  I have blood in my urine as well.  In addition, I have vertigo, and take medication for that too.  Sleep doctor wanted to take me off all my meds for 30 days before doing another sleep study. I tried to wean off from all meds, but after only 4 days had to take meds in order to function.  The sleep specialist felt I was suffering from insomnia/drug abuse.  I was mortified.  I am a single mother with a house, 2 pets, a child, and I work too, so I need to be able to function.  I cannot function at all without meds for my vertigo, kidney, and lack of immune system.  I desparately need help.  I always feel so tired, and I have to push myself just to get through the day.  Is there any doctor or therapy that could help me?
I had simple gallbladder surgery Aug 18th. I did fine the first week after surgery. Than I got broncitus and had to take meds for that. Than due to an autoimmunedisorder, I delevoped thrush mouth, A week ago today I was so weak,my leggs felt like jello, I was breaking out in cold sweats, lost my appitie, and REM has taken over my life, my reg doctor has referred me to mental health but will be dec before i can get in, I have never experienced this horrible demon that has taken over my body. Some one please HELP ME..
I had sleep study 2 weeks ago it confirmed no REM sleep even though I take 1.5 to 2 mg Klonopin a night (for about the last 10 years).  I am so very tired all the time, thought my depression was getting worse so Dr increased my prozac and added then increased wellbutrin.  See the neurologist next month, hope I can just take higher dose of Klonopin and get back to sleeping and no more violent nightmares; most doctors I see do not want to prescribe Klonopin at all!
I'm not diagnosed yet but I've had trouble sleeping for years. This sounds a lot like me, just more severe. I sometimes wake up with scratches that I didn't go to bed with. If someone is next to me, they sometimes will tell me, that I kept moving and jumping a bit.
Hi I have been diagnosed with rem but I am wondering if there are any more day time affects as I get very tired at periods during the day and also suffer from headaches. I also wake up with a muggy head and seem to need extra sleep. I would be grateful for any extra advice as I don't seem to have a lot to go by. Many thanks.
i have been screeming in my sleep recently and my mom said it was like really loud i ususaly kick and cluch my fist she sais when she wached me sleep does this meen i have rbd
I have suffered from absence of achieving REM sleep for many years. I recall being a preteen and having issues with staying asleep.  Now, in my young 60s, I continue to sense that my sleep disorder is worsening.
I have had sleep problems since I was 18 years old, first started with a night terror. I had to sleep with a light on  for years, and it with counseling I got better.     Now, it's moved onto anxiety (only during bedtime) usually about an hour after I go to sleep I will suddenly awaken and get a panic attack. And only happens about once every two to three months.  Well last night, I pushed spouse & I didn't even know I did, and didn't remember the dream leading up to waking up right after and having a lovely panic attack. I'm concerned. The cause of all that might have been too much sugar in the evening a few hours before bedtime.. too much birthday cake
We have been married for 39 years and never once has he ever hit me until a few nights ago.  I touched him with my arm and usually will turn into a romantic moment but that night it turned bad.  He raised up and started punching my arm really hard and then flung it out of the way and said "now leave me alone, you fat sow".  Of course I was devasted.  He just turned over and went back to sleep.  I woke up the next morning with my arm swollen at my elbow.  He was very concerned and told me I had better go to the doctor since I am a heart patient.  I asked him if he had a bad dream and he just said no.  He did not recall anything.  For the past week he just keeps badgering me to go to the doctor and I told him I didn't need to and that made him angry and told me I was just stubborn and should go.  I told him I knew what happened to my arm which by then was black and blue and swollen for the past week.  He told me that I had better tell him and not try to hold anything back.  He thought I had fallen again but I told him that he did it and he did not believe me.  I never told him what he said to me but now there is no affection at all.  He said he was sorry if that is what happened but he did not believe me.  He has kicked me before in his sleep but nothing ever like this.  The only medication he is on is blood pressure med with a diuretic.    When they speak in their sleep, do they tell how they really feel?  He is never so blunt and disrespectful normally but he never says what he really feels.  I am confused by the whole incident.
DIAGNOSED REM SLEEP DISORDER GIVEN AMPHETAMINES IN AM
I was recently diagnosed with REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) and have terrible dreams where it seems like I work extremely hard to act out my dreams and I twitch, jerk, kick, talk, and yell. I've kicked the wall at the head of bed and injured my right big toe. I wake up feeling really exhausted and have bad headaches. I've been taking Klonopin which seems to help but I continue to run out of the medication before my next refill for some reason and the dreams return with a vengeance. Another thing to note is I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. I was also just diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia which also leaves me exhausted every day. Things seem to be getting worse than better. I've tried Adderall, Ritalin and modafinil for the hypersomnia and nothing so far has worked for me. Good luck every one! This is a grind!
I have REM sleep behavior disorder (SBD). I have done the sleep studies, and wear a CPAP.  Stress is the number 1 factor in all my SBD dreams. About 30 percent include parasomnia (acting out). Suggested treatment includes melatonin, clonazepam and perhaps prazosin. Stress is number 1 constant in my dreams. Stress and fight; fight is regulated by the hypothalamus, pituitary, and adrenal pathway. Someone needs to look at the health of this pathway/and hormones and relationship to SBD. Find and fix the cause and quit chasing symptoms!
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.