Sleep Disorders Community

Why can't i sleep in darkness ?

Hi im 19. I had problems with sleeping since my high school ( as far as i remember  , it could  be earlier ) , i can only sleep  without waking up when i fall asleep at  02:00 - 03:00 . When i fall asleep at 22:00-23:00 i wake up in the middle of night usually after a nightmare then can't fall asleep again. It's was bad for learning because i had to wake up at 06:00 to get ready for school so i would be tired after sleeping 3-4 hours or i would be tired and terrified .
I think that problem is with light . I'm somehow scared of darkness . I tried to put TV at blue screen menu for first hours when i fall asleep and set it up for let's say 2 hours to automatically turn off after 2 hours have passed , but i would immediately wake up after TV turn off , that means i would not sleep deep enought to not be able to wake up like this.I would get up from my bed in like 2s and turn in on again or turn light on.
In high school before i fall asleep i would be distracted by any noise , i had to know what caused this noise so i got myself a cat and blamed it on cat like ,, oh it was just a cat nvm'' so i didn't have to turn  back and find what caused that noise.
When i was in highschool i had strange situation when i was awake but my body was not so i had to lay down for a minute to be able to stand up , i could not talk and i dont think i was able to breath it was something like i had told myself in dream that i have to wake up as fast as possible because it's a dream ( i know  a stupid reason ) so my mind was awaken  but body not yet. I manage to stop this by sleeping on my belly insteed of back so im not getting paralyzed like this anymore.

Is there any possible solution for me except strong meds? Should i do something with it or just find a night shift  job and sleep at day?
Good news—there are definite practical things that you can try to fix your symptoms without resorting to prescription medication. Which is not to say that medication wouldn't benefit you; only your doctor can evaluate that.

The first thing I thought of when I read your post is a nightlight. Do you have a nightlight in your room? They make ones with sensors that automatically turn off in light and turn on when it's dark. One or two of those in the room might help with your apparent fear of darkness. My other suggestion is to think carefully about your "sleep hygiene." This includes getting the TV out of your bedroom entirely, only using your bed for sleep (or sex), turning the lights down dim in your place 1-2 hours before bedtime and avoiding bright screens like computers or smart phones before bed, establishing a ritual that helps cue your body that it's time to sleep such as taking a bath or drinking warm milk, and keeping a regular bedtime and waking time that's consistent every day (even over the weekend). These things can make a huge difference in the quantity and quality of sleep you get. Most doctors will not consider medication until you have tried all of these measures first. The biggest one for your case, from what I can see, is to stop turning the TV on when you get in bed. Television can be very disruptive to sleep, as you're already seeing in terms of waking up the moment it turns off. Sleep experts recommend something less active if you need something to help lull you to sleep, such as reading a book or even listening to the radio at low volume.

If these measures fail to help you, you might consider asking your doctor if you can take melatonin or valerian to help you sleep. Both of these are over-the-counter "supplements" that you can find at almost any pharmacy, but it's best to ask your doctor before starting anything. For temporary insomnia, some people find that diphenhydramine (the main ingredient in ZZZquil and Tylenol Simply Sleep as well as in Benadryl) helps them get to sleep easier and stay asleep longer; this is also over-the-counter, but you definitely should consult a doctor or pharmacist who knows you before starting this. The benadryl should not be used long-term (more than 1 week) unless under a doctor's orders.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Best, H.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.