Avatar universal

excessive sleep and still tired

I am a 50 year old physician who had to leave practice 7 years ago. I had gradually become weaker and suffered from chronic pain(back) as well as generl malaise, migrating joint pain, and constant fatigue.January 2007 it became much worse. Within a week or two I was sleeping constantly, falling asleep while driving when I had to go out .At this time I sleep over 15 hours a DAY and awake(because i must) still very tired. I have simplified my life and in all ways possible decreased sources of stress though I have a stressful life because I am the mother of 3 young teens. I have always suspected adrenal insufficiency(with "leaky gut syndrome), and I have a very high Aluminum level. 1/07-7/09 i saw an alternative doctor who gacve me IV's of supplements, esp Vit.D. the little I felt better-initially-was more likely placebo since there were no further improvements or lasting improvement.
What illnesses should I look at?
What tests might show some abnormality that might lead me to treatment?
I am heartbroken that I have not been the mother my children deserve, and if I could just get better for a few years-be there for them through these very important years, then I dont really have much hope anymore for a lasting good quality of life for myself. But if I could have some time as the mother I used to be I would be so grateful to one nd all that could help me find out how to get better. Thank You So Very Much.   alexmum4ever
3 Responses
Avatar universal
Crazy, you were a doctor and aren't sure what the issue is?  That saddens me.  :(

Have you had a sleep study?  They can tell a lot from that.

Have you had your thyroid and adrenals checked out?

I can't stress enough the importance of looking online for a high dose, high nutrient, multi-mineral & multi-vitamin, supplement.  Something with many good testimonial reviews for conditions helped.

VERY important for energy and handling stress is Magnesium and the B Complex Vitamins.  Magnesium/Calcium/Vit D are especially indicated for muscle and joint pains and problems.

Some of the safer and more effective forms of magnesium include: Taurate, Glycinate and Citrate (latter can be laxitative, so take with food).

Kelp is the richest dietary source of magnesium that I've seen thus far.

FANTASTIC information below:



"Magnesium: The Stress Reliever"  by Leo Galland M.D., F.A.C.N. (online article)

"The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition" by Michael Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M (online article)

"Magnificent Magnesium" by Priscilla Slagle M.D.
Avatar universal
What you say about adrenal fatigue:

More than 80 percent of the population is believed to be deficient in magnesium, according to Gabriel Cousens, M.D., author of "Spiritual Nutrition."

Magnesium acts like a spark plug for the adrenal glands and for the energy portion of every cell. It is essential for the production of enzymes and the energy necessary for the production of adrenal hormones.

Calcium and magnesium work together to moderate the effects of cortisol, a key hormone involved in adrenal fatigue.


I feel like I'm preaching to the choir, but anywho...

The typical blood test for magnesium isn't very effective.  Only 1% of the body's magnesium is in the blood, while the other 99% is in the tissues.  And the body makes sure to keep the blood levels maintained, even at the expense of pulling out the stores of magnesium.  The typical magnesium test is actually an Intensive Therapy Unit test, in a small, tight range, meant to keep you alive.  That is according to Dr. MyHill.

The RBC magnesium test is said to be better, but it can still miss deficiencies.  The best are the loading or tolerance test, but this can be hard to get.  (See article by Michael Schachter M.D.)

Basically, magnesium deficiency is very common these days, and the deficiency symptoms are very obvious when researched.  When a good formula of magnesium is taken, the effects are definitely noticed in deficient people.

Avatar universal
I hate to ask the obvious when you say you are or were a physician but ....

Have you had an in-lab sleep study immediately followed by a MSLT???

Have you been to a pain management clinic for the back pain?

Have you had a doppler ultrasound of the neck and thyroid?
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.