Sleep Disorders Community

trouble falling asleep the can not wake up

my son 20 has had trouble falling asleep since he was 3yrs old, he also just can not wake up in the morning, he tries to go to bed earlier and no TV or radio, has 4 alarm clocks all set at differnt times, with volume as high as possible, and varies from loud noise to loud music, I have tried to help him by calling him this does not work. I have gone to stay with him and have a hard time waking him. If anyone knows of something please let me know, he is getting very concerned about his job,
Maybe it's time for an evaluation by a sleep doc...   What you describe was my life story for years and years, come to find out I'm more awake at night than in the daytime!  The only way to know is to have a sleep study, start ruling things out or in...  I feel for both of you, like I said, I was the same way, it was my poor dad who always drew the short straw to try & wake me up!  LOL   Good Luck~ lori

Thanks for writing in!

Excessive sleepiness is also called hypersomnia. Some of the causal factors are: sleep apnea and other sleep-related breathing disorders, narcolepsy, idiopathic hypersomnia, psychiatric disorders, chronic use of drugs or alcohol, medical disorders like an overactive thyroid, insufficient sleep, neurological disorders, sleep-wake cycle circadian rhythm disorders (eg. nightshift work), etc.

“Onset insomnia” is a condition where a person faces difficulty in falling asleep at the beginning of night, when he goes to bed. There may be several causes for it, which include excessive worry, stress, fear, anxiety, pain, grief, aging, mental disorders like depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder. You should seek medical help (sleep specialist) in helping find out if there is any medical cause for excessive sleepiness.

In the mean time, your son should be careful while on work that could endanger him or others around him.

Take care,
Regards,

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?