Have cut smoking to 1/3

I am a pack and a half a day smoker and have been for 30 years.  Last week I decided to start the process of quitting but am tapering instead of cold turkey....

It's been about 2 weeks that I dropped to about 10 cigarettes a day and I've started feeling quite dizzy and nauseous.  Can anyone tell me if dizziness can happen while quitting smoking?  Dizziness is not something I ever remember having any issue with before.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi! Congratulations on tapering! I hope I’m not too late answering you. I quit cold turkey 8 months ago after a 25 year pack a day habit and yes I was very dizzy/lightheaded for awhile. My blood pressure actually went up and down so maybe check yours? I’d imagine with having more oxygen in your body and a drug (nicotine) leaving that your body is going through changes and some kind of “shock.” I bought a BP cuff from walgreens so maybe check that out just to make sure it’s stable. But yes I was dizzy for a bit.
Helpful - 1
I'm chewing the **** out if the gum. Deep breathing..  it seems to go up and down. What I find helpful is noticing how much deeper my breath is.
I made a mistake and went to Walmart though earlier and I left before I killed half the people in there!!! This is my last vice and I'm just going to keep pushing! Thank you for responding!
Helpful - 0
Walmart will do that to anyone!! :) I totally relate! It was my last vice too and smoking was like my best friend. Yet my best friend was killing me. I did go 8 months cold turkey but started the gum 3 weeks ago when my Dad passed away so I’m chomping away too. It gets better and those deep breaths really do help!
I can tell you,, since I'm literally doing the same thing your doing right now, dizziness is normal!  I am a pack and a half a day smoker for 40 years and I had to whopper nose bleeds about a month ago, literally one on a Sat and one on a Sun.  Went to the dr the next day and my blood pressure was 157/130.  I'm taking the Chantix and chewing the S&&T our of Nicorette!!!  But I'm getting there.  I do feel a bit insane as well but that could be the Chantix!  I've withdrawn off of many things this one by far being the hardest!  As of yesterday I'm at 4 a day so I'm going to stay here a couple of days then jump again.  Good luck to you in reaching your goal...........WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Helpful - 0
OMG people.........I've answered MYSELF!!!!  LMAO!!!!!  Because I'm here again trying to quit smoking!!!  
I am cracking up that you responded to yourself!! I’ve also withdrawn from many things and quitting smoking is by far the hardest. I went cold turkey 8 months ago but just started the nicotine gum 2 weeks ago when life got out of control. You’ve got this! You’re doing an amazing job! How is your sleep and appetite?
I've gained 12lbs and I'm waking up at 4:00 am and having trouble getting back to sleep.  I've got to be successful at this!!
You will be. I know you can and I’m here to cheer you on. I woke up at 4/5am in the beginning also. Now I sleep very hard. The weight will come off, don’t worry! You’ve got this! Is the gum helping take the edge off?

You are reading content posted in the Smoking Cessation Community

Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.